Montpellier to Barcelona - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allaneddy

Hello all,

I’m heading to Lyon for a birthday in May so thought I’d take my bike and then cycle and camp all the way down to Montpellier. I would love to make my trip at least 4 weeks long so thought I’d then head west to Barcelona.

However there isn’t too much information on the route between Montpellier and Barcelona and the info I have found doesn’t sound overly positive. For example you cycle on busy roads. Even though EuroVelo says this is a developed route. Anyone had any experience of this stretch? I’d be travelling with a touring bike with panniers and camping.

As a plan B I’d do another more well known route or get a bus from Montpellier to San Sebastián and cycle up the West Coast of France to finish my adventure. Therefore just skipping the Montpellier to Barcelona part.

Thanks so much!

Hola and welcome!

I would love to make my trip at least 4 weeks long so thought I’d then head west to Barcelona.
I am absolutely the last person to be commenting on a sense of direction ^_^ but to clarify.... Barcelona is south of Montpellier, no? You don't mean Bilbao do you?

However there isn’t too much information on the route between Montpellier and Barcelona and the info I have found doesn’t sound overly positive.
My vague recollection from general reading is that that part of the coast can be very congested, and my experience backs that up. However, there is no reason to stick with the coast.

Even though EuroVelo says this is a developed route
I've learned a long time ago to take EV routes with a pinch of salt ^_^ Some are excellent and some are........ in development. And there's a lot up to personal taste.
In fairness, I believe the EV site now has gpx files of completed sections.
When CT has suggested an alternative option to an EV route I nearly always take it and don't regret it.
Anyone had any experience of this stretch?
I have some from south of the border down to Barcelona and around the general area. I loved it but my visits to the coast were short and not terribly sweet. Incredibly busy. Lots of stressed out tourists. And some crazy rates to pitch a tent. Up to €50 and little opportunity to wild camp (it's illegal in Spain, tolerated mostly in some areas but didn't feel comfortable here).
However, away from the Crazy Coast there are some wonderful roads through stunning (and hilly!) country with little tourist traffic and plenty of respectful drivers.

I should add that having covered a pretty large part of Spain Catalonia was the only place that felt a bit "off". In one small town, stopped for a bite of lunch several people warned me not to leave my old, battered and heavily loaded bike unattended. In other places I happily left it unlocked and out of sight as I wandered. Not in Catalonia.
cycle up the West Coast of France
I did it in the opposite direction and I really enjoyed it but.... I love the sea and put me beside water and I'm a happy bunny. I've read of many people who found it boring. Tastes differ. Expensive camping too in the south of France.

I use https://cycle.travel/map as my goto planner and it very rarely lets me down, picking quiet roads and bike paths. If you or your bike are finnicky about surfaces you may want to plan a little deeper than I tend to do.

I am probably not best placed to advise because I tend not to plan anything beyond a very loose destination a week or two down the road and that often changes. I'm also not much of a follower of bike routes - I pick a place I want to go and ride there and to be fair to Spain and Catalonia it's a place where that is entirely possible. I was there in July/August so slap bang in the tourist madness, too.

CT shows a route along the French side of the Pyrenees to the French coast which might be worth investigating. I recall reading of a gravel type route, remote in parts, that ran along the Spanish foothills also to the coast. Can't remember where I came across it but it sounded wonderful. Tough, but wonderful. Bikepacking.com might have more info.

You may want to check out https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/maps/?o=3d2 a site for bike touring Journals. That's the map page - you can zoom in on likely places, see what journals are from that area then access the journals. Great info, wonderful inspiration, just stay away from the forums.

I'd imagine that logistics of getting home might play a part in choosing a route?

As for is it worth it? That's up to you.

Good luck!

jay clock

Massive member
I have done much of it. The coastal bits between Montpellier and Perpignan it's very unattractive, and flat with lagoons and just generally not that wonderful. But if you stay at 30 40 km inland, it can be lovely. see here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3di&doc_id=4924&v=84 and here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3di&doc_id=1447&v=2M Plus on that site, you'll find me heading down the west coast down to Spain, and also from Montpellier back up to the channel

You will have a great time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However there isn’t too much information on the route between Montpellier and Barcelona and the info I have found doesn’t sound overly positive. For example you cycle on busy roads. Even though EuroVelo says this is a developed route. Anyone had any experience of this stretch?
No experience there, but I can't see any busy road on EV8 so are you sure that ride report was about it?

However, there seems to be a gap in the route NE of Barcelona. Other than that, it looks OK on paper.

Top Bottom