Moo-bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm toying with the idea of putting cow/bull horn bars (as commonly seen on fixie's) on my hybrid bike. I like the current stretch so I'm not thinking about a stem replacement at the moment and I want to use my current Shimano rapid fire gear/brake levers which I would mount on the inside of the bars. I currently use bar-ends which I find I use quite a lot but I feel like some narrower bars and I like the look of the bovine items.

My questions really are:

1. Will I be able to use my current gear shifter/brake levers.
2. Will I be able to buy a standard set of road bike bars, flip them upside down and cut them as it'll be cheaper than the proper-jobs.
3. Should I not bother; it's going to look like dog-meat.

ps. dunno if this is in the right section, if not, someone can let me know!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends if the shifters will 'negotiate' the bend as you fit them.

Other option - lop some inches off your bars and refit the bar ends ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The diameter of the bars are different. You may well get away with it on the stem (center bulge is 26 mm for drops, 25.4 mm for flat) but I don't think the levers will go on. I couldn't fit flat bar brake levers to chopped and flipped drop bars, and I can't think of any gear shifters that will fit on either.

If you're just after narrower bars, why not take a hacksaw to the ones you've got? Move everything in as far as feels comfy / you can, and saw the remaining bits of bar off once you're happy with the narrowness.

Damn - beaten to it!

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Joe24 said:
Have a little look at this thread.
Here
You might not have the same problems though.

That's made up my mind, I'm sticking with what I've got!

Incidentally I chopped 18mm from each end of the bars and it feels much nicer to ride now. It's as far as I can go without causing problems to the fitment my Cateye light switch.

Radius

SHREDDER
Yup, was gonna point you to my thread as it's the exact same issue, and I've considered cutting my bars too. Am still thinking about the new bar end levers / shifters thing as well though, if I am satisfied with putting that much money into that bike...

Top Bottom