Moon Gem 1.0 USB lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My parents gave me a set of these at Christmas and I have been very impressed with them.

http://road.cc/content/review/21587-moon-gem-10-led-front-light

They will run all week flashing, on my 10 miles into work and 6 miles home, on one charge. They illuminate a warning light when the charge is low.

I have used them as "running lights" during the daytime and as extra lights at night. I like to have 2 rear lights in case one conks out. My normal main rear light is an Aldi Bikemate job which is very bright and has never let me down. My normal front light is an Ultrafire Cree torch because I ride on unlit country lanes.

With most of my riding now in daylight hours I just have these little lights on the bike.

I leave them on flashing on dull days or in traffic. They have modes normal - high beam - strobe - flashing. The flashing is neither too slow nor too fast. I would use high beam for very poor visibility conditions.

They weigh very little and are the size of your average USB memory stick. They only charge via USB. The lenses make them very bright and attention-grabbing for oncoming motorists. I notice a big difference when filtering in getting noticed in rear view mirrors.

The charger point is covered by a rubber boot which pops on quite securely. The lights incorporate rubber straps which fasten to seat post, oversize or normal bars or the seat stays. They can get nudged out of alignment so you need to be careful where you place them.

Overall for a set of "get you seen" running lights, these are spot on. They will give light for a slow ride on unlit roads but that is not their ideal environment at all.

crazyjoe101

Hi Arjimlad, I have a Moon Gem 2.0 which I have on my bars, I always use it on flashing and point it at car mirror height. As far as I can see it has three LEDs of the same kind as the Gem 1.0 along with the same mounting method.

I've got a CREE T6 headlamp on the way for unlit riding, however I'd like to get a light for my helmet for additional visibility as I might not have the T6 on the bike at all times. I noticed that I can strap the Gem 2.0 onto my helmet and then swivel it round to face where I want, is this the same with the Gem 1.0? Also I was wondering about the brightness of the Gem 1, with just the one LED do you find it's enough to get people's attention? I'd be using it to basically point at people and to be seen over the tops of cars whilst filtering, on the one hand it needs to be seen, but on the other hand I don't want to be invasive.

Thanks for any reply.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's a small bright flashy thing, and I have used it on my helmet for being seen. I would say it'd be perfect in town or for the use you describe. I currently use the Gem 1.0 on my bars as a flashing light in the mornings, especially in traffic. You can swivel it about as you say. It's very light and sits well on my Bell Solar helmet.

As most of my commute is along unlit country lanes, after dark I don't bother with the Gem. I use an Alpkit Gamma headtorch to supplement a Moon Xp300 as main headlight. The flashing mode on the XP300 is too much for morning traffic.

The Alpkit throws a pretty useful beam for looking round corners & over hedges etc.

crazyjoe101

Thanks a lot, there doesn't really seem to be anything like it in terms of it being rechargeable so that apeals a lot. I'll stick it on flash in the city to get noticed and can have it on solid where there's low light so I can see my bars etc. If it proves to be too weak I can always demote it and buy a normal torch with a helmet mount (any excuse for another torch). If you use yours on your bars for filtering etc. then it should be fine for what I want to use it for as I use my Gem 2.0 as a flashy bar decoration; it's fairly bright but has a focused beam which makes it great for pointing at the people in front's mirrors without distracting oncoming traffic. If the 1.0 has the same focused beam then again it'll be good for 'targeting' specific people without distracting others. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Agreed. It's OK as a little flashy thing on dull mornings, I find, but not enough at night.

Perfect as a helmet light for grabbing attention.

Still useful....

crazyjoe101

Yes, since Christmas mine's been mounted on my helmet, really handy rubber mounting loop I think. It lights up streetsigns really well and seems to grab people's attention when pointed but I'd want something brighter with a bit more battery life as my main light. I use a Moon Gem 2.0 as my main 'be-seen' and while it's not the brightest it's rougly 3x more powerful with a longer battery life than the Gem 1.0. I also use a T6 copy as a "see-with" light when needed.
One thing to note with the Gem 1.0, is that with it being up on your helmet you may not see the red battery light unless you check for it. Good secondry light though.

Top Bottom