moral dilemma

to toast or not to toast

• toast him

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • encourage him

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a chap at work has just bought a nice new spesh allez and is now riding into work. i've encouraged him to do so, and he was really keen. he wants to go out at lunchtime, which is fine. now as a cyclist i feel honour bound to go at his pace, encourage etc.

however… i owe the chap a toasting, such as he gave me when i went running with him, the shoe being on the other foot so to speak, as he has been running for a while and i've just started.

so, do i nurture and encourage, or show who's boss and toast him on a climb.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Just for the last mile or so, but show him who's boss. It'll be the best form of encouragement in the long run, unless he's really wet and starts crying in which case you don't want to know him anyway

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Put it to him thus..

"Come on, mate - you're doing really well! Here's a nice gentle climb to get the heartrate going a little bit* but if you keep up the cycling as you have been doing you'll just be able to do this soon"

...and leave him for dust. :angry:

* Pick a bitch of a hill that you can easily do, but that will get his legs aching a bit.

domtyler

Über Member
Be careful, he may just leave you to watch his wiggling arse the first time you hit a slope and you will meet him back at the office a little red faced and him with the smuggest grin you've ever seen! :angry:

Tetedelacourse

stick with him at a pace which stretches him, til the last mile or two and announce casually that you're going to push on a bit to get the old lungs working. Then nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww away from him.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Keep the pace at a decent speed, then slowly pick it up. In the last 2-3miles from the office say yur going to stretch your legs abit and slowly pick the speed up to a high speed and drop him completely. Then when you get back, you have to get changed and looking all fresh for when he walks back in.

Maz

Guru
If he's been running for a while, he's probably already fit...fit enough to toast you on your bike, perhaps?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
If he's been running for a while, he's probably already fit...fit enough to toast you on your bike, perhaps?

ah yes, but not bike fit. as i found out, being fit in one discipline (in my case, cycling) does not guarantee fitness in another (as i have found running). different muscles are used so his will ache up a climb at a moderate pace whilst mine will be ok (the opposite of which is true when we both run).

i actually took him on a 5km ride on a borrowed bike last week, all of 20kph average. i certainly had the measure of him then, but as he had normal clothes on, and was riding in trainers on pedals designed for look keos, toasting him then would have left him with too many excuses…

mondobongo

Über Member
Pick it up for the last mile glancing over to see if he is suffering occasionally and finish with a sprint for the office.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Gradually up the pace towards the end and keep talking while he begins to puff; then apply the coup de gras by getting out and unpeeling a banana casually like Tim Moore in French Revolutions.

My cycling mates now say to each other 'unpeel your banana' when we're about to overtake someone, to give the impression that it's effortless for us.

Top Bottom