More Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea78

I posted recently about starting to ride again to get fitter and I got a lot of very helpful advice.

I would like some more advice please regarding my fitness. So far I have been doing 2-3 miles a day for the last 7 days with one day of 5. I have done a total of 23 miles now and I am quite happy.

However today was the hardest I have ever had, I wanted to do 5 miles but there was no way I could, I had to stop at 2.5 miles.

Am I over doing it by pushing too hard? I have not done any exercise for 15 years really and I am really keen to get fit again. Do I need to take a break for a day or should I keep pushing on a little bit at a time. I dont particularly want to take a break because I dont want to risk breaking the habit if that makes sense. Yesterday I really enjoyed 3 miles but today I struggled.

I am keen to find out what you have to say

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
The simple answer is yes

Rest is just as important than exercise, it gives your body / muscles and energy levels time to recover, remember your body has been inactive for a long time and now it's being put to work again (via cycling) it wont take your body long to drain out, that's why you struggled today.

You don't have to go all out in the begining, I would if I was you, cycle two days then rest on the third by going for a short walk instead of using the bike, about a mile will do, just to keep your mind and body active, you wont slip back to the old ways then.

The more you push yourself the higher the risk of doing perminent damage, it's a matter of building up little by little and you'll soon notice the difference.

I cycle on average 25 to 30 miles per outing, (about four times a week) but it's taken me six weeks to get to this stage after a four month lay off due to injury, my average before that was 60 miles each time with ease.

start off small, build to big, and rest always

Hope it helps
Norm

Arch

Married to Night Train
We all have 'off' or just 'less good' days. Call today a rest, and aim to do a little ride tomorrow, or whenever you would next ride. If you feel like more once you're going, then do more.

Keep the habit going, as you say, and little and often is fine.

You're doing really well. Just keep positive, and keep going.

Arch

Married to Night Train
And a change is as good as a rest, remember. If you really feel cycling will be a struggle one day, have a walk instead - you still get some fresh air and exercise, and you can raise and lower your pace as you need to.

Steve H

Large Member
Rest days are really important RichTea. Aim to get a couple of days a week in when you are completely off the bike. Not even a problem if this is 3 a week. Plus don't worry at all at this stage about how fast you are going. Just get out there regularly and slowly build up the time / distance.

I started cycling about Feb / Mar this year. My work gets in the way quite often, but I try to get 3 or 4 rides in a week. Mid week is limited, but if you can aim to get your longest ride of the week in on a Sat or Sun, you can then take a leisurely shower and maybe a snooze to fully recover.

Going for a walk, or taking a gentle swim is a good way to deal with your days off the bike if you want to keep the momentum going.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Don't be afraid to make things as easy as possible - avoid headwinds and steep hills if poss as these can be taken on when you are fitter.

What's the problem - are the legs giving out or is it the lungs?

navrat_biker

ensure you get enough carbs too the day before your ride so that your body has a good store of energy to go at. you shouldnt over do things as you end up going against your body and more likely to wear yourself out or cause injury. take it steady, you will build up and look back thinking "crikey i have come a long way since i started"

OP
OP
R

richtea78

The main problem I have is with my legs, I do get out of breath but not too much, its literally I find that my legs start to burn and they just want to stop. I am back at work this week so will aim to have Tuesday off the bike.

Monday I am visiting a friend who lives a short way away so thought it would be fun to ride there as I am watching a film so will have time to recover before cycling back. Also Monday is my first day back at work after a week off so want to get into the routine of cycling on a work day.

thanks again for the advice. It is very helpful

Philk

Hi Richtea

I had the same problem with my legs burning, I put up with it for a while then asked the LBs to help me get the riding position right , it helped alot, I also got a decent computer, this helps me pace myself ie try to stop my self going anarobic and become saturated with lactic acid.

Over time you will get faster and recovery times will drop, try not to do too much too soon.

I go out twice a week and do 15 miles each time, when i first started i did 2 miles, twice a week.

Good luck

lukesdad

navrat_biker said:
ensure you get enough carbs too the day before your ride so that your body has a good store of energy to go at. you shouldnt over do things as you end up going against your body and more likely to wear yourself out or cause injury. take it steady, you will build up and look back thinking "crikey i have come a long way since i started"
Enough Carbs....? He s doing 2-3 miles a day. Don t think he needs to worry about his Carb intake just now. Do you?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
You are doing really well, Richtea!

+1 for a rest day every so often (especially when you feel you need one!), your body is working hard building up the muscles, and that mostly happens while it rests, so you are actually helping it by taking it easy for a day or so!

Very often the heart/circulation etc is building up a little quicker than the muscles, that's why you are feeling the legs limiting your cycling ...
Another good reason for the odd rest day is that you may otherwise be more likely to get injured, as your body is getting used to all that exercise, especially once you start increasing the mileage.

If you feel OK, you could always go for a walk or do some other exercise, as somebody has said, a change can be as good as a rest.

Most of all, don't forget to have fun cycling :tongue:!

T

Top Bottom