More close pass outcomes with Avon & Somerset Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
CASE 1:

This taxi driver pleaded not guilty, I had to give a witness statement but I did not need to attend court. I don't know if he refused to accept a 3 point fixed penalty & take his chances in court but the outcome was quite severe for him.

Court Result 6 points £620 Costs £44 Victim Surcharge £440 fine

View: https://youtu.be/bKFiUHKwyLQ

I think the points are higher for "professional drivers".

CASE 2:

This Citroen driver pleaded guilty and was given five penalty points and a fine by the Court. It was an especially nasty close pass from my perspective.

I would guess that the case was prosecuted straight to court rather than the driver being offered a fixed penalty of 3 points.

View: https://youtu.be/CJikau5xn2A

Two drivers who may take more care around people on bikes in the future, or risk accruing more points and being banned.

I'm lucky that Avon & Somerset are so active on prosecuting these.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Driver number 2 deserved a disqualification for that. Must have scared the shoot out of the other cyclist too.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've just been knocked off. Driver chased me for 1/2 mile.
Video footage showed it all. Two witnesses saw it. All three of us gave statements to Lancashire Police.
Driver made no comment.
No further action to be taken.
Middle aged white male heterosexual cyclist doesn't tick many diversity boxes.

Sorry to hear that.

However, police apathy towards people on bikes is nothing to do with race, colour or gender.

Video footage showed it all. Two witnesses saw it. All three of us gave statements to Lancashire Police.
Driver made no comment.

Which force was that ? Worth showing on Road.cc and see if they can kick up a fuss ? If you have the footage it's going to look embarrassing to the force and they may do something ?

CASE 1:

This taxi driver pleaded not guilty, I had to give a witness statement but I did not need to attend court. I don't know if he refused to accept a 3 point fixed penalty & take his chances in court but the outcome was quite severe for him.

Court Result 6 points £620 Costs £44 Victim Surcharge £440 fine

View: https://youtu.be/bKFiUHKwyLQ

I think the points are higher for "professional drivers".

CASE 2:

This Citroen driver pleaded guilty and was given five penalty points and a fine by the Court. It was an especially nasty close pass from my perspective.

I would guess that the case was prosecuted straight to court rather than the driver being offered a fixed penalty of 3 points.

View: https://youtu.be/CJikau5xn2A

Two drivers who may take more care around people on bikes in the future, or risk accruing more points and being banned.

I'm lucky that Avon & Somerset are so active on prosecuting these.

That's great to read as I'm in Yeovil and Somerset is a beautiful county for cycling and some of the hottest temperatures in the country after the south east.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Driver made no comment.

That's a shocker, complain & raise it with the PCC ?

Some forces appear to have total apathy towards people on bikes.

The postcode lottery of these matters has to be fought.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That's great to read as I'm in Yeovil and Somerset is a beautiful county for cycling and some of the hottest temperatures in the country after the south east.

Indeed, lovely place to ride!

It's good to know our local police will deal with drivers who endanger others' safety. Makes it worthwhile having a camera, especially when another benefit is to record beautiful scenes from the route.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would have thought they would be the perfect target audience to show they are racially diverse & not pick just on minorities

sheddy

Legendary Member
Off topic - if you have rack & panniers where does the rear camera attach ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Driver made no comment.

That should not be treated as a motoring offence but investigated and punished as a more serious sort type of assault

Juliansou

Wow - truly shocking, especially the Citroen. At least the points a fine may make them think again! Glad to see your police force takes action.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Off topic - if you have rack & panniers where does the rear camera attach ?

I have a mount which attaches the camera to the rails of the seat, pointing to the rear. This means the camera is "upside down" but, there is a setting to automatically invert the image. (My camera is a "cheap" AKASO EK7000, but, I assume most, if not all, cameras have a similar facility.

Top Bottom