More "Comfortable" Saddle for long rides ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

Having just done my first Audax (100k) on quite an uncomfortable saddle (always looking for best seating position but never quite finding it). Can anyone recommend what make/model would be good for Audax rides? I know saddles are quite personal and everyone has their own preferences. Ideally I should get a better bike but that won't happen for a while yet ..... I have seen ARIONE saddles mentions as being comfortable (cx model I think). Thanks for any advice.

It all down to personal preference I like a harder and narrower saddle but others prefer the opposite; I have a Spesh BG Avatar (narrow) and a Fizik Aliante (I think this is my most comfortable) but depending on the person I've also heard the aforementioned Fizik Arione is good or Brooks.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It might depend a bit on your bike.

A Brooks saddle is held in high esteem by audax riders - but only up to about 1500km.
icon_lol.gif

While fine for an 'audax-type' bike (complete with Carradice saddlebag
thumbsup.png
and optional mudguards
happy.gif
) it might not look right on a more rice-oriented bike, though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My saddles took almost no finding at all... one came with the bike (Giant) the other was 7.99 from Lidl. Both really comfy!

e-rider

crappy member
I use an Arione standard model and find it comfortable like many other people - that doesn't mean you'll like it though!

Make sure you have adjusted the fore and aft position set correctly, and most important of all, get the correct tilt angle. Pretty much dead flat suits most people. Nose down a fraction is also popular; but I mean just a fraction!

nickprior

Veteran
Some good bike shops sell saddles on a return basis. Buy one, try it out and return it if it doesn't suit, and try another. Obviously you'll need to be careful not to scuff it so they can resell it.

By chance the last saddle I bought worked first time for me so I didn't have to bring it back but it was good having the option.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Comfortable saddle for audax?
One word answer?

Brooks

But before you do - go to a Specialized dealer and get them to measure your sit bones... If they say you need a 130 mm Specialized you probably want a Brooks Team Pro or B17N or maybe a Swift. If Spesh say you need a 143 (or wider) have a look at a regular B17

It may just be that your contours and Brooks don't get on, in which case you can sell it again straight away on Ebay for a very high proportion of it's purchase cost. Don't bother trying to "break it in", just cut your losses and sell it on, and try something else.

I tried loads of supposedly comfortable saddles from Specialized, Fizik et al, before finding, almost by accident, that my posterior was made for a Brooks Swift (not the other way round - old as I am - Brooks have been making those for longer than I've been around !)

lejogger

Guru
I've just taken a chance on a charge spoon... they've had tremendous reviews and at about £20 it's worth a punt before going for something £100+ in my opinion.

Worked for me... I find it very comfortable over all distances.

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

OK - thanks for all replies - plenty to investigate - good point about moving on if it's not a fit.
Just about to book a couple more Audaxes in Feb & March - not that far away!

BTW - my bike is ordinary hybrid nothing special, too heavy really but a charge spoon won't look too much out of place. I will probably need a new seat post for the rail fitting.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I purchased a RIDO-2 saddle for my commuting bike earlier this year which I find really comfy and it looks retro. I have spent a small fortune on saddles over the last decade and my two best saddles out of the lot are; Brook B67 and the RIDO-2. It's been a pain in the backside trying to find good ones that work for me !!

regards

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
+1 to PpPete re. measuring your sit-bones.

An alternative to a shop fitting is as follows:
- fold some tin foil a couple of times (so it doesn't tear under your weight)
- find some carpeted stairs and place on the 3/4/5/6 stair (depending on your height; try to match your riding position)
- sit down
- measure the impression your bones make.

Also +1 to Brooks. San Marco Rolls are also highly rated: the design has been in use by pro riders for a couple of decades now...

yello

re sit bone width and measuring thereof, I recall reading somewhere* the opinion that sit bone width is not the be all and end all of saddle comfort. I got the impression that for some people it's not even relevant and the Spec tool (and it's subsequent copiers) are nought but sales gimics!

If they say you need a 130 mm Specialized you probably want a Brooks Team Pro or B17N or maybe a Swift. If Spesh say you need a 143 (or wider) have a look at a regular B17

When I was measured, it was a 143 width saddle that was recommended yet my most comfortable saddle is my Brooks B17N.

*I think it was on the selle anatomica site (the American leather saddles) but I think they've gone bung now.... I think.... I'll see what I can find it

Edit: found it....

http://www.selleanatomica.com/FAQ/#8
For most of us sit bones are not the key dimension. That is not to say sit bones are unimportant. But for most of us, the more important issue is the independent, asymetrical movement of the pelvic structure and having a saddle that mirrors this movement. Our bodies need a saddle held in suspension, made from skin like material, that molds to our individual shape and moves independently with the two sides of our bodies.

Selle An-Atomica are still going. The founder died in April 2010 and I guess there was a little uncertainty at the time as to whether they'd continue, but it appears they have. The above quote is not quite the same as the bit I read on their previous website (as I recall, the original was a little more dismissive of the sit bone measurements!)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
+1 to PpPete re. measuring your sit-bones.

An alternative to a shop fitting is as follows:
- fold some tin foil a couple of times (so it doesn't tear under your weight)
- find some carpeted stairs and place on the 3/4/5/6 stair (depending on your height; try to match your riding position)
- sit down
- measure the impression your bones make.
Sounds better than getting a hairy tattooed youth to measure your arse!

Top Bottom