More discouragement of cycling in Australia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ring-new-south-wales-police-blitz-on-thursday

Over 1000 Australians a year are killed on the roads, so what does the government do? Crack down on cyclists, of course. The last pedestrian death caused by a cyclist was in 2006 (I'm unaware of any previous such cases, but they may exist). Roughly 10-15 cyclists are killed by motor vehicle drivers a year in Australia.

Regards,

--- Victor.

P.S. I couldn't help smiling when reading one of the comments below the article, though:
The trouble with cyclists is they are not making any contribution to climate change. It's unAustralian.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They really do hate cyclists down under don't they?

I love the irony. They are fining cyclist for riding on footpath (== pavement(uk)), for not dismounting on pedestrian crossings AND for not having a bell, which is only needed if you are share a facility with pedestrians. Bells are no use on the road.

Roughly 10-15 cyclists are killed by motor vehicle drivers a year in Australia.
it's much higher than that. I downloaded this yesterday.

https://bitre.gov.au/statistics/safety/files/BITRE_ARDD_Fatalities_Jan_2016_Amended.xlsx 45 in 2014 (though some of them were single vehicle, I don't know if that includes the bicycle or not), 31 last year.

On the upside:
From Monday vehicles travelling under 60km/h will also need to give cyclists one metre’s room or pay a $319 fine and lose two demerit points. Those passing at more than 60km/h will need to give one and a half metres.

One the downside, that's the same fine as for not wearing a helmet. Which one is easier to prove? Which one is more likely to cause brain damage? (clue: the answer to each question is different)

Last edited:
I've just realised the worse part of this for Australians, cyclist or not. From next year, cyclists in NSW will be required to carry ID. That means that police will be able to demand that a cyclist produce ID, even if they have committed no offence. This is the thin end of a very nasty wedge of expanding police powers. Australians, like British, do not currently have to carry ID (unless they are driving, when they are expected to carry a license). I think they should think very carefully before giving the police (especially NSW police, unless their reputation has improved greatly) this power.

"First they came for the cyclists, but I said nothing ....."

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

dodgy

Australia.JPG

Kind of makes you think the Aussie Old Bill have got nowt better to do, I mean who has time to stop and issue tickets to 210 people in one day?
I write this as the Old Bill and I've not time to stop and eat most days.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Well if the law is that you have to wear a helmet and you dont. You can handlings be shocked if you get pulled.

As for carrying id. We all carry id in Denmark. Its our yellow cards which we use for everything from taking out a library books to getting medical treatment at the doctors or hospital. Its not a problem carrying it. With the amount of illegals in the UK I would have thought it would be an advantage to have a national ID scheme. It only becomes a problem if you have something to hide.

As for the old Bill having nothing else to do. I am guessing most of these tickets were issued to commuters on the way to work. A quiet time for police officers. They do this once or twice a year with cyclists jumping red lights in Copenhagen.

It may sound a pointless exercise but it will get the point across pretty quickly. The police are paid to enforce the laws of the land and fortunately the public dont get a vote as to which laws they enforce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom