1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More discouragement of cycling in Australia

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Shut Up Legs, 26 Feb 2016.

1. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ring-new-south-wales-police-blitz-on-thursday

Over 1000 Australians a year are killed on the roads, so what does the government do? Crack down on cyclists, of course. The last pedestrian death caused by a cyclist was in 2006 (I'm unaware of any previous such cases, but they may exist). Roughly 10-15 cyclists are killed by motor vehicle drivers a year in Australia.

Regards,

--- Victor.

P.S. I couldn't help smiling when reading one of the comments below the article, though:

Milzy, hopless500 and Tin Pot like this.
  2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

They really do hate cyclists down under don't they?

3. jefmcg

jefmcg Apparently I shouldn't use the default, "guru"

I love the irony. They are fining cyclist for riding on footpath (== pavement(uk)), for not dismounting on pedestrian crossings AND for not having a bell, which is only needed if you are share a facility with pedestrians. Bells are no use on the road.

it's much higher than that. I downloaded this yesterday.

https://bitre.gov.au/statistics/safety/files/BITRE_ARDD_Fatalities_Jan_2016_Amended.xlsx 45 in 2014 (though some of them were single vehicle, I don't know if that includes the bicycle or not), 31 last year.

On the upside:
    One the downside, that's the same fine as for not wearing a helmet. Which one is easier to prove? Which one is more likely to cause brain damage? (clue: the answer to each question is different)

Last edited: 26 Feb 2016
    mustang1 likes this.
  4. jefmcg

I've just realised the worse part of this for Australians, cyclist or not. From next year, cyclists in NSW will be required to carry ID. That means that police will be able to demand that a cyclist produce ID, even if they have committed no offence. This is the thin end of a very nasty wedge of expanding police powers. Australians, like British, do not currently have to carry ID (unless they are driving, when they are expected to carry a license). I think they should think very carefully before giving the police (especially NSW police, unless their reputation has improved greatly) this power.

"First they came for the cyclists, but I said nothing ....."

5. Drago

Drago Guru

One of the reasons a) I don't like the Country, and b) I don't live there. I terms of prejudices towards minorities and user groups they're half a century behind the rest the developed world.

Saluki and mustang1 like this.
  6. jefmcg

speaking of prejudice

(when I moved to the UK, I felt I'd gone back 15/20 years in terms of smoking and sexism. And I still can't believe how acceptable it is to hate gypsies/travellers here. And using terms like oriental. Edit: and anti-semitism. It took me a long time to notice that one)

Last edited: 27 Feb 2016
    Milzy, Glow worm, theclaud and 2 others like this.
  7. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I read them, some of the usual bullcrap that you get from fat, lazy motons countered with the usual erudite responses from the cycle lobby. You can just see the anti cyclists putting their fingers in their ears and going lalalalalalalala.

Drago and Shut Up Legs like this.
  9. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

10. ManiaMuse

ManiaMuse Über Member

Kind of mad in a country obsessed with sport and with plenty of road and track cycling success over the years.

Saluki likes this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

And they wonder why Australians are among the fattest people on the planet. Let them get on with it, eejuts.

12. Incontinentia Buttocks

Incontinentia Buttocks Senior Member

Kind of makes you think the Aussie Old Bill have got nowt better to do, I mean who has time to stop and issue tickets to 210 people in one day?
    I write this as the Old Bill and I've not time to stop and eat most days.

13. Drago

Drago Guru

You need to get your Ds ticket mate ;)

14. Well if the law is that you have to wear a helmet and you dont. You can handlings be shocked if you get pulled.

As for carrying id. We all carry id in Denmark. Its our yellow cards which we use for everything from taking out a library books to getting medical treatment at the doctors or hospital. Its not a problem carrying it. With the amount of illegals in the UK I would have thought it would be an advantage to have a national ID scheme. It only becomes a problem if you have something to hide.

As for the old Bill having nothing else to do. I am guessing most of these tickets were issued to commuters on the way to work. A quiet time for police officers. They do this once or twice a year with cyclists jumping red lights in Copenhagen.

It may sound a pointless exercise but it will get the point across pretty quickly. The police are paid to enforce the laws of the land and fortunately the public dont get a vote as to which laws they enforce.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2016
    Big Andy and Drago like this.
  15. jefmcg