(more) GPS questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, I know I want a GPS - i'm doing my own coast to coast charity ride mid year, i'm determined (absolutely determined) to take part in a audax <probably a small to medium one>, I want to do a sportive - and probably do one when i'm away on hols in the UK...

As i'm not that computer savvy, i'm tempted to go for one that just tells me where to turn L or R like a car satnav, but I really like the look of those ive seen people discussing on the forum which include OS mapping as I guess this gives you chance to explore areas more of the beaten track and away from primary vehicle routes.

Is there a simple one for a simple minded soul which would give me confidence to set off and know i'll arrive at my destination. Thanks, Neil.

vickster

Legendary Member
I know not a lot about these things (I have the oldest TomTom still in use)

There is a test in CA this month, you don't mention budget, but these 2 came out top

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/holux-gpsport-260-gps-units-first-look-30650/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-200-gps-cycle-computer/

col

Legendary Member
If you have a smart phone, an app can be used and they seem ok?. Not tried one myself just read about them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
go to the audax UK website follow the links re GPS. Loads of relevant info there.

fwiw I'm a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx user with opencyclemaps on SD card. Route plotted with bikehike and I rarely bother with turn directions, just follow the line drawn on the map.

PK99

Legendary Member
If you have a smart phone, an app can be used and they seem ok?. Not tried one myself just read about them.

but they drain the battery very rapidly (or so friends tell me) useful for "where am i now" but not for all day navigating.

I find the garmin 800 simple and intuitive to use and the OS mapping has on occasion been invaluable. I've used it for long days and never been near exhausting the battery.

For following a route i use tracks without turn signals but set the device to automotive mode, which shows your route as easy "tramlines" to follow and shouts at you if you go off track. Switching back to full maps is trivial

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Thanks, I suppose that ease of actually entering a route to follow should be high on my list of necessaries - how do those that are mentioned stack up to this?

I do have a smartphone but battery life is abysmal, and you have to go under the duvet in a darkened room in order to see the screen properly.
The HTC desire is an ideal phone should you spend most of your life in bed close to an electrical plug.

Terry Kay

I use a HTC Legend (android) for navigating in the car and it does a good job.. Without power you'd get around 2 hours before it dies?

I upgraded to a Garmin GPS Map 62s, runs on AA's and I get 8-10 hours per set. You can download OS maps at additional cost and copy routes as GPX files to follow, but it's more a case of follow the track lines.. It also logs your route so you can share or look at the stats later..

Not used it for cycling though! Usually accompanies me out into the wilds and has been to the top of Kinder Scout and Snowdon with no problems..

PpPete

Legendary Member
Any of the Garmin Etrex HCx models.... now being replaced so you can pick them up (a bit) cheaper. What Greg says, create a track on Bikehike, send it to the unit - turn it to a visible colour against the background of whatever rendering of the free Open Street Map you are using - then follow the track.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks, I suppose that ease of actually entering a route to follow should be high on my list of necessaries - how do those that are mentioned stack up to this?
Bikehike; install some garmin usb drivers, install a garmin web browser plug in, plot your route on bikehike, by clicking on your start point, clicking on the road you want to take, clicking on the next road you want to take, repeat until route is plotted (you can try this out WITHOUT owning a GPS and you can save the route on your PC - NB the reason I like bikehike is that it allows plotting of routes via OS maps, very usefu if you ride off-road), connect your garmin to your pc, download your route to your garmin, put garmin on bike, begin pedalling, repeat ad lib.

The articles on the Audax site even include specific tips for setting up an Etrex for optimal ease of use, on and off the bike.

Top Bottom