More lights and more reflectives, or just be very careful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Shouldn't this be called
More lights and more reflectives, and be very careful?
I cycled through London for the first time at night in ages and was surprised at how difficult is was to see cyclists who didn't have lights at handlebar or saddle level. Helmet only lights were probably the most difficult to notice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You have a series of hurdles to overcome. You have to be visible. The person has to look in your direction. They have to see you. They have to register what they see. They have to calculate your movement reasonably accurately. They have to make a reasonable decision and act on it.
^This.

It isn't about you and what you do, it is about them and what they don't do. You can't control their behaviour, and in (too) many cases it is impossible to even influence it.

"The Invisible Gorilla" is an excellent book on the how's and why's.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not your fault but if you're looking for improvement ideas based on my experience, I wouldn't use a flasher at busy times (don't let them know you're "only" a bicycle in queuing traffic any more than you have to - when traffic is moving, the pedal reflectors will say "bicycle" well enough) and I'd make sure at least one light or reflector is as far right as you can make it, so you seem a bit wider than you are.

Feastie

Über Member
Thing is there are so many other lights at night, especially at a roundabout, that I feel like the lights on bikes don't really stand out. No matter how powerful, a tiny light isn't as significant as all the headlights around. I think people get a bit dazzled, plus they're not concentrating to look for bikes. IMO there's no number of lights or things to make yourself safe, short of also being in a car. I approach night riding under the assumption that nobody has seen me.

One thing which I think is quite good is to get some of those snap on wrist reflectors. If you stick your arm out to indicate right/left, it's really hard to see in dim light, but a reflector (or a light I suppose but never see a wrist light) is much easier for drivers to notice.

Top Bottom