More lights and more reflectives, or just be very careful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
My bike is equipped with:

2 x tyres with reflective sidewalls
1 x LED rear light (flashing)
1 x LED rear light (steady)
1 x rear reflector
1 x wheel reflector (no idea where the other one has gone)
1 x generic Chinese-made front light with a Cree T6 (which I generally have on flashing)

In addition my cycling jacket -Aldi's finest - has a bright yellow bum cover and reflective bits on the arms.

So all in all I think I'm pretty visible. Except that on my way home last night (it's all of three miles) a car pulled out on me on a roundabout and two cars passed far too closely. When the second one did so I raised my hand in exasperation (I didn't say anything, just did a 'what the hell was that all about?' shrug) and the chap - who it turned out was only going another 200 yards anyway - felt the need to jump out of the car and remonstrate with me. Pretty much all of my commute is on suburban roads with a 30mph limit - the same roads I always use and generally don't have problems with. Last night though was the first time that I've felt it was reasonably dark.

In both cases of being passed to closely I thought I was 'taking the lane' i.e. there wasn't enough room for a car to pass. I guess I need to get further over, although given the reaction of the driver of the second car, I don't feel there is any guarantee people won't just drive in to me.

So will more lights make any difference do you think, or is it just a case of being careful?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
No. What you have there are impatient morons.

Presuming all the checks on batteries, angle of light etc are fine I dont think you need anything else. You've probably got more in the way of visibility that most other people (including in cars). A bike and a human being are narrow so the best you can do is to dissuade unsafe overtakes with taking the lane, sometimes drivers find a way through regardless.

400bhp

Guru
You'll always get near misses and close overtakes. Drivers do this in broad daylight so no reason to think any different at night.

Do you just have a front flashing light? You should have one permanent and (if you choose) another light, perhaps on flashing (more to do with a backup if you're first one stops working).

One flashing light on the front makes it hard for vehicles you're approaching to judge the distance.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
You'll always get near misses and close overtakes. Drivers do this in broad daylight so no reason to think any different at night.

Do you just have a front flashing light? You should have one permanent and (if you choose) another light, perhaps on flashing (more to do with a backup if you're first one stops working).

One flashing light on the front makes it hard for vehicles you're approaching to judge the distance.
I have at the moment because I've broken the bracket for the other one. I should get another or bodge it I guess.

400bhp

Guru
I have at the moment because I've broken the bracket for the other one. I should get another or bodge it I guess.

The Cree lights on seven day shop are pretty good VFM for a back up light. Reminder, I must buy another back up light as the LEDs are going in the one I have.

SMIDSY - Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You

You are suffering form SMIDGAF - Sorry Mate I Don't Give A Fish*

The problem is NOT visibility, but the fact that many drivers fail to see when they "look" and even when they do see then fail to act apporpriately

*Think of another four letter word

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'd think about having something else on the front.

I use an Alpkit headtorch which is angled down usually about 5 yards in front of my bike. It's probably less than 100 lumens but does throw a useable beam.

When I approach a minor road or roundabout with traffic joining from my left I keep a close eye on the drivers and will sometimes raise my head to play the beam over the stationary or slow-moving driver's window.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In the winter I always use two front lights. Leyzne Micro drives, one flashing and one static. A single Micro for the rear.

I'm not convinced that super bright lights are the answer on the street lit roads, I would go so far as to say that super bright rear lights are a danger as they blind those that want to pass and irritate those that don't, to make them want to pass. I have
similar feelings about super bright fronts too and think that they are more appropriate for unlit roads. I hate passing a rider with a super bright rear and hate riding behind them even more...especially if they flash.

I think the micros are perfect, very bright but not so super bright as to cause a hazard

Over the years I've learnt to give up on battery lights in favour of rechargeable. Rechargeable lights are ALWAYS running at maximum brightness for an average commute time.

That said, as others have mentioned, being visible isn't always the issue...being seen is...and then of course being seen by someone who feels inclined to observe your presence and do something about it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For night commuting i have ..
Front
cree p4 on flash
cree xml t6 for dark sections
Rear
Smart r2 on seatpost
Smart r1 on each pannier bag clip
spesh helmet with reflective stickers
aldi armbands , batteries dead but still reflective
yellow gilet with reflective stripes
spoke reflectors from aldi
panniers have reflective strip
Leg warmers have reflective bit on the back
Shoes have reflective bits on the back

You're only missing the scotchlite bullseye target on your back, by the sound of it. I wouldn't spend too much more cash on lights and hi vis than you already have (by the sounds of it). I tend to find that the majority of motorists will behave exactly as they would if you were riding in daylight, with minimal hi vis on. The good, courteous ones will still give you the room / respect. The idiots will still brush you with their mirrors. As long as you do your bit to stay safe and minimise the risk, that's about all you can do.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My bike is equipped with:

2 x tyres with reflective sidewalls
1 x LED rear light (flashing)
1 x LED rear light (steady)
1 x rear reflector
1 x wheel reflector (no idea where the other one has gone)
1 x generic Chinese-made front light with a Cree T6 (which I generally have on flashing)

In addition my cycling jacket -Aldi's finest - has a bright yellow bum cover and reflective bits on the arms.

So all in all I think I'm pretty visible. Except that on my way home last night (it's all of three miles) a car pulled out on me on a roundabout and two cars passed far too closely. When the second one did so I raised my hand in exasperation (I didn't say anything, just did a 'what the hell was that all about?' shrug) and the chap - who it turned out was only going another 200 yards anyway - felt the need to jump out of the car and remonstrate with me. Pretty much all of my commute is on suburban roads with a 30mph limit - the same roads I always use and generally don't have problems with. Last night though was the first time that I've felt it was reasonably dark.

In both cases of being passed to closely I thought I was 'taking the lane' i.e. there wasn't enough room for a car to pass. I guess I need to get further over, although given the reaction of the driver of the second car, I don't feel there is any guarantee people won't just drive in to me.

So will more lights make any difference do you think, or is it just a case of being careful?

thats plenty for visibility but will make no differeance as others have said trust me! I take the view that when coming to junctions roundabouts etc that the driver has not seen me, never take it for granted that they have.

PS Hope that front light is not on the spazzzy flash mode which induces epilepsy :tongue: . I use the SoS mode when in town but full on when out on the country roads.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm afraid that close passes are all too common. I've been off the trike for just over a week now (mechanical problem, parts for repair should be here tomorrow), so I've resorted to the Scott hybrid. I've had 2 very close passes, which is more than I get in a year on the trike. Both times were cars passing me in proximity to a traffic island. These things may be useful for peds, but they're a nightmare for cyclists. Today I just completely blocked any overtakes and didn't get any adverse reactions from drivers, but generally riding so defensively can lead to horns blaring/nasty comments.

Top Bottom