More Mr Toad ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
he does ask a sensible question. Why spend zillions on cycle lanes if nobody uses them. We've got £140M worth of LCN+ that nobody uses.

jonesy

Guru
dellzeqq said:
he does ask a sensible question. Why spend zillions on cycle lanes if nobody uses them. We've got £140M worth of LCN+ that nobody uses.

He does ask the right question, but then draws the wrong conclusion, i.e. that we should be forced to use them, not that they clearly don't provide any benefit. I'm surprised how rarely it seems to occur to drivers that if a cyclist isn't using a cycle path then perhaps there's a problem with the cycle path...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Definitely the wrong conclusion.

I just cycled through Newcastle and although they have put a lot of time and effort into making more cycle facilities, I was very confused as to why a lot of the things were there. I personally cannot see much point in on-road cycle lanes in most places. If the road is wide enough to have a proper cycle lane added then usually it is wide enough to not need one.

Tynan

Veteran
dellzeqq said:

I didn;t know what they even were, on checking, I fond a section of my commute up Wood Street is one

tiny cycle with a shocking surface than I'm endlessly pondering rerouting

busted two wheels during the great winter pothole season, one a split rim

wasted money indeed although they can;t have spent much on Wood Street

stowie

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I didn;t know what they even were, on checking, I fond a section of my commute up Wood Street is one

tiny cycle with a shocking surface than I'm endlessly pondering rerouting

busted two wheels during the great winter pothole season, one a split rim

wasted money indeed although they can;t have spent much on Wood Street

Is that Wood Street, E17? That is one of the most shocking pieces of shite cycle infrastructure I have had the misfortune to come across, and there is pretty tough competition for this award in Waltham Forest (and Hackney and Haringey).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
dellzeqq said:

true.. but i find my local network of the network (lol) is bad in places, taking you away from what might be the faster routes with no extra danger and putting you on the backstreets where you have to tussle around parked cars and on coming cars. Don't get me started on the road conditions.

TFL are doing something right with the Barclays Cycle Superhighway, and thats making sure (for now) that the road conditions are ace.

Countless times where i use cycle paths that are not part of the road, they are full of dirt, stones and glass. a nightmare for us.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

There is a reply asking if anywhere has decent cycle paths!!

ChrisKH

Guru
User said:
And look at the crap they've ended up with... :smile:

Actually, out of all the local councils, Southend have done the most although some of their cycle lanes are a little misguided. But at least they're trying.

Top Bottom