More New Forest Sportive news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

This is a clipping from the latest New Forest Post (sorry I did try to find a link)

DRASTIC action could be taken by bosses of controversial cycling events in the New Forest to ease “ten- sions” between them- selves and locals. It comes after organisers of large-scale cycle rides were banned from holding them at New Park in Brockenhurst – the home of the New Forest Show. The Wiggle event could now seeareductioninthenumber of participants under propos- als from organisers. At the moment more than 2,000 take part in the events – but this figure could be slashed by 20 per cent amid complaints from locals that there are too many cyclists in the area. Routes could also be altered by UK Cycling Events to avoid Blissford Hill, near Fordingbridge, and other “hot spots” where problems have occurred. And roaming motorcycle marshals will be deployed to ensure that cyclists stick to the rules. Any rider behaving
badly will face an instant ban. The company hopes the changes will reduce the hos- tility to cyclists and help Wiggle find a new home. New Forest Show bosses banned the organisers of mass cycling events from using New Park following the controversy surrounding October’s event, which resulted in a pony round-up being cancelled. Event organisers hope to use the Gang Warily recreation centre in Newlands Road, Blackfield. But the scheme came under fire at this week’s meeting of Fawley Parish Council’s poli- cy and resources committee. Members said they needed more information and deferred a decision. Wiggle boss Martin Barden said: “The New Forest is a national park. “It’s there for everyone’s enjoyment and everyone should have the chance to take part in their chosen activity.”

On another note, I do hope that Gang Warily go ahead with the event as its big enough and a stones throw from my house.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure which is worse: the nimbys of the forest, or the shallow end of the Hampshire gene-pool (also know as the Waterside).:laugh: (sorry inkd - there are exceptions I know)
I don't do big Sportives but cycling solo I've seen more numpty behaviour from motorists within the "stone's throw of Gang Warily" than anywhere else in the county.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

I could`nt agree more, we certainly have our share of Jeremy Kyle rejects and a good proportion are behind the wheel of cars.

DRHysted

Guru
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10843217.Drastic_action_to_ease__tensions__in_cycling_row/

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/yoursay/letters/10857827.Let___s_judge_cycling_event_on_its_merits/

Personally if I was UK Cycling events, I would suriously be considering holding the start outside the New Forest, say Calmore Industrial Estate, selling as many tickets as I could and starting everyone at once. Just to put two fingers at the stupid London imigrants who are refushing to share the Forest.
I must add that in reality I never would do such a thing, as I normally try to find a way to please others, but the small minority who are shouting the loudest will never be pleased.

PS I'm now boycotting anything at the New Forest Show Ground, if I'm not welcolme on two wheels, then I'm not going there on 4!

Peteaud

Veteran
Somerset would be good for me too as I only moved here 7 years ago from Yeovil. As I know a good proportion of the county it would be like going back home, even better if they held it near my fav cider farm http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/visitthefarm.html

Thats on one of my cycle routes i do regularly in the summer.

Back on topic, how much revenue does an event like the wiggle ones generate for the local economy?

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Must be a fair bit when you think of the max amount of participants and its normally sold out. Hotels, cafes, resturants, LBS e.t.c.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Thats on one of my cycle routes i do regularly in the summer.

Back on topic, how much revenue does an event like the wiggle ones generate for the local economy?

I read it quoted at around £390,000 I think, although I would guess that was for both spring & autumn events.

Top Bottom