More puncture wows..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..ok so I have had a series of punctures, and they are all from the inside of the wheel. They are NOT pinch punctures from the tube getting stuck under the rim or anything...I had the rim tape changed because there was the smallest of kinks in the tape at the point of puncture..that seemed to work ok for a while until tonights ride when it punctured again..in the same place. Looking at the rim tape it seemed ok but had moved a small amount across the rim instead of being centred along the inside of the rim.

So I changed tube and it punctured again...I wont go into the debacle of the broken halfords track pump and the totally unfit for purpose halfords mini morph:angry:)....

So...short of switching to solid rubber tyres I need to have much stronger inner tubes I reckon. The tubes I have seem to be thinner than a featherlite condom:ohmy:...

Can somebody please suggest a brand of tube for a 23" 700 wheel that is made of heavy duty durable rubber instead of gossamer extra sensitive??

Ta in advance..

Totally peed orf of old worving town:laugh::smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bad luck BOAB... I take it you were "prepared" this time:biggrin:

And they occurring on the same bit of tube each time? Is it worth switching the rim tape...?

ASC1951

Guru
It's not the brand of tube. I use unbranded, Michelin, Decathlon, whatever I can get for £3 a pop (sorry, a go). I get a puncture every 2000 miles, if that.

You need to look at other issues. Pressure, state of rim, cloth tape instead of plastic, protruding nipples, straining the valve stem when you pump them up, even choice of route - for instance I never use those pisspotical micro cycle lanes, because they are full of debris.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

ok..ta...well I have jus tgot back from the LBS and they are flummoxed...so...they have fitted two layers of cloth adhesive rim tape and we put our faith in God there after.

The rim tape was origionally synthetic (supplied with bike)...then they fitted wider blue plastic tape which rode up the inside of the rims...so now I have cloth adhesive tape. Let's see what happens.

I pump up to 110- 120psi usually but no higher. Iam a heavy rider though..iro 16 stone.

I avoid debris & potholes like the plague...still cant find thick 23 road tubes though...was tempted by th eslime filled tubes but LBS said they were rubbish..even though they were in stock.

What I dont get is that this seems to only happen on the rear wheel..the front still has the orional rim tape so...am confused...

anyway...here's to cloth rim tape:laugh:

C

chillyuk

I had the same problem, several punctures within 5 miles on a new wheel, everyone one on the inside of the tube. My rim tape looked OK, but was cheapie rubber stuff. I changed it for Velox cloth tape and haven't had a puncture for months. At 16 stone you are a lightweight, I am over 2 stone heavier, though not happy about it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd be willing to bet that even a tiny piece of aluminium swarf can get through a plastic rim tape and puncture a tube at 120lbs. Cloth tape might be thick enough to prevent this.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

The guy in the LBS said that he wasnt very impressed with the quality of my rims (note the S:ohmy::laugh:) ...tried to suggest mavics instead..only I am pretty skint for the moment. My rims are as supplied with the bike in 2008..they say
ambrosio ws 23 on them..thats all I know about them...so anybody care to comment on these...I cant see how they would be totally carp..or are they??

GrahamG

Guru
I think every bike shop pushes mavic, mostly because they don't stock anything else. Ambrosio rims are generally very well regarded and regardless of the quality of rim, you might as well use them until they die!

Top Bottom