More "serious" road shoe advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For the four years since I started road cycling I have been using some Shimano RD or RO57 shoes, which are an entry-level shoe with three velcro straps. I am now beginning to spin a bit more and have noticed that these shoes don't hold my feet at all securely so I reckon I need a more serious shoe. Also the old shoes are so worn on the heels that they are about to become dangerously slippery when walking to the cafe.

Does the ratchet strap found on better shoes really make a difference to fit and foot hold or is it more a convenience for "on the fly" adjustment?

Am I better off sticking to Shimano since I find their shape very comfortable?

Are Specialized shoes a different shape? I do use the BG insoles, which I find excellent.

Budget would be around £100, what do the more seasoned riders on here recommend? I'm not a racer, just an enthusiastic amateur doing mostly cafe rides of 30 - 60 miles with the occasional sportiff thrown in.

Thanks!

Does the ratchet strap found on better shoes really make a difference to fit and foot hold or is it more a convenience for "on the fly" adjustment?
This IMO.

I've had ratchet shoes before now, most notably Sidi Genius 5, and they were excellent, but I've also used Velcro shoes and can't honestly say I felt any benefit, or downside of one over t'other.

FWIW I now use Lake CX236 shoes and Northwave Farenheit GTX boots.

I find the Boa lacing system on the Lake shoes offers easy 'on the fly' adjustment, but I actually prefer my boots over any shoes I've ever had.

With my boots I don't get any numbness or hot spots or anything like that, but they aren't terribly practical on that one hot day we might get in mid-summer:heat:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I like Northwave shoes, 3x velcro straps are plenty easy to adjust on the fly and are secure without being tightened down too tight.

I would recommend just trying on a few brands and seeing which fits best. A well fitting shoe is the best shoe.

Ratchets won't make the shoes tighter, it's just a different way of fastening, that's all. Many top riders still prefer velcro fastening to buckles. If your current shoes are not holding your feet securely, then it sounds like they were the wrong size to start with.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
They're pretty snug; they just lack the hold over the tops to resist foot movement when I spin.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ratchets won't make the shoes tighter, it's just a different way of fastening, that's all. Many top riders still prefer velcro fastening to buckles. If your current shoes are not holding your feet securely, then it sounds like they were the wrong size to start with.

Velcro straps are more aero too :tongue:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In my experience Velcro wears after a while and ceases to hold a firmly. I'm currently on Specialized something or other with ratchet and velcro fastening. Two pairs, one spd and one road cleat.

FreeFlow Bikes

If you are happy with Shimano stick with them as you have tried and tested them and got used to them. I found that with the Shimano shoes I had to go up a size as they are small made.

I have the ratchet system on mine which I think is great as I find that I can get the perfect tension on the shoe and easy for on the fly adjustments.

Alexvs

I have a pair of Specialized BG MTB (spd) shoes and recently upgraded my road bike to Time pedals so bought these Specialized BG Expert road shoes and they are immense. The boa system is so much better than my other 3 velcro straps I can not praise them enough and I don't get any hot spots or anything in them, just secure fitting. I got them when Evans had the extra 10% off as well which was useful. I never liked Shimano shoes on my feet as prefer the wider Specialized fit so if you're thinking of switching away from Shimano have a good try of some first as you obviously fit well with them.

400bhp

Guru
Shoe review in this months Cycling Plus. IIRC they review about a dozen pairs of road shoes (albeit a couple are SPD compatible) although, as usual not many shoes are at the cheaper (i.e. £100 or less) end.:rolleyes:

Also, the reviews are pretty poor.

Why did I bother to reply.^_^

Top Bottom