More Wire W***ers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:sad:

That happened on the day BBC Breakfast's Dan Walker was abusing his platform to rant about "going on really long rides posting on social media saying, I have done 70 miles, which does stretch those guidelines and cause issues." BBC should stop appearing to support the bike-bashers and the police should throw several books at the offenders.

Smudge

Veteran
I think also Jeremy Clarkson also advocated doing it as well, although that might have been because of dirt bikes revving there way offroad through the countryside.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I always wonder if sickening news stories about wire attacks are counterproductive, potentially sparking copycat attacks.

Especially if significant sections of the media continue to demonise cyclists.

There is that possibility I suppose but I hope far more cyclists see the story and maybe keep a better lookout as a result.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think also Jeremy Clarkson also advocated doing it as well, although that might have been because of dirt bikes revving there way offroad through the countryside.
Sure it wasn't too long ago when a young lad lost his life around Barnsley or Sheffield riding a crosser down a track, okay he shouldn't have been there but no excuse to deliberately try to decapitate somebody
There is that possibility I suppose but I hope far more cyclists see the story and maybe keep a better lookout as a result.
It's very difficult to see something at body height though, I tend to be looking ahead at the ground, anything coming across is only likely to be seen at the last second.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's very difficult to see something at body height though, I tend to be looking ahead at the ground, anything coming across is only likely to be seen at the last second.
Amen! Wire is really difficult to see off-road. It's not a natural hazard. Heck, I've ridden into a few branches over the years and they're much easier to see than wire.

D

Deleted member 26715

As expected waste of time, they won't sanction their own

Dear Complainants,

I write further to our earlier email regarding your complaint about an article headlined “Auntie’s doing her job again. All it took was thousands of deaths and a useless cabinet”, published by The Sunday Times on 24 May 2020.

The Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) has received a number of complaints about this article. In order to be able to respond in a timely manner, we have prepared a response which deals with the various concerns raised by complaints.

When IPSO receives a complaint, the Executive staff review it first to decide whether the complaint falls within our remit, and whether it raises a possible breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice. We have read your complaint carefully, and have decided that it does not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code.

First, I should make clear that our response deals only with the concerns raised under the Editors’ Code of Practice. We noted that many complainants expressed concerns that the article could incite violence against cyclists as it stated that “it’s tempting” to “tie piano wire at neck height across the road”. Other complainants were concerned that this phrase constituted hate speech. However, both hate speech and incitement are potentially criminal matters which are dealt with by the police. If you believe that the article was inciting hatred or violence, or constituted hate speech, then you may wish to contact the police about these concerns as IPSO cannot offer advice on criminal matters.

Many complainants said that the article breached Clause 3 (Harassment) as it constituted harassment towards cyclists and could potentially encourage further hatred and harassment from members of the public. However, Clause 3 generally relates to the way journalists behave when researching a news story and is meant to protect specific individuals from being repeatedly approached by the press against their wishes. As the concerns we received did not relate to this, the terms of Clause 3 were not engaged.

Many complainants also said that the article breached Clause 12 (Discrimination) because it discriminated against cyclists. Clause 12 is designed to protect specific individuals mentioned by the press from discrimination based on their race, colour, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or any physical or mental illness or disability. It does not apply to groups or categories of people. The concern that the article discriminated against cyclists in general did not relate to an individual, nor did it relate to a protected characteristic listed under Clause 12. This meant that it did not engage the terms of this Clause. For more information about Clause 12 and how it works, this blog may be of interest.

Some complainants said the article breached Clause 10 (Clandestine devices and subterfuge) because it encouraged members of the public to injure cyclists. Clause 10 relates to the obtaining of information by journalists through clandestine means or by deploying subterfuge – for instance, by using undercover reporters. As the complaints that we received did not relate to this, and therefore the terms of Clause 10 were not engaged.

Many complainants expressed concerns that the article was highly offensive, inappropriate and irresponsible. We should note that the Editors’ Code does not address the issues of taste or offence. It is designed to deal with any possible conflicts between newspapers’ right to freedom of expression and the rights of individuals, such as their right to privacy. Newspapers and magazine are free to publish what they think is appropriate as long as the rights of individuals – which are protected under the Code – are not infringed upon. Accordingly, concerns that the article was offensive and inappropriate did not engage of the terms of the Editors’ Code.

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider the points you have raised, and have shared this correspondence with the newspaper to make it aware of your concerns.

You are entitled to request that the Executive’s decision to reject your complaint be reviewed by IPSO’s Complaints Committee. To do so you will need to write to us in the next seven days, setting out the reasons why you believe the decision should be reviewed. Please note that we are unable to accept requests for review made seven days after the date of this email.

Best wishes,

Sebastian Harwood

Cc

The Sunday Times

Top Bottom