Morning from Penge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LabRatt

Sorry folks, I've signed up but I don't really belong yet - I'm an armchair cyclist.

That is to say, a dirty stinking driver. I want to ride, to leave the car at home, get to work quicker, be healthier and spend less money doing it, but the other half fears for my safety. Understandable, though irrational, as her little brother was in a serious accident when he was about fifteen. Any advice on persuading her to let me on a bike would be useful.

For myself, I rode to school, then I rode to college, then I rode to university, then that ancient bike fell apart and I went on to public transport. My one incident, besides being squirted with a water pistol on a hot day when it was appreciated anyway, was being pinched between a coach and the kerb when I was about 14. The bike didn't do too badly and my nose broke my fall, but to this day I don't know if the coach was passing me too close or I was stupidly moving up the inside.

So, despite having an old raleigh mountain bike in the shed I spend most of my travelling time in the car and get my cycling thrills vicariously through youtube. I'm always careful around cyclists, give them plenty of room and try to make sure that other drivers don't get the chance to get it wrong. We're not all bad, but one thing I've noticed - an peanut is an peanut (usually in a BMW or Audi), and if you're "in the way" they'll treat you the same whether you're on two wheels or four. I've had my fair share of SMIDSYs, lane-changing taxis and stupid overtakes.

Anyway. I think I'm making progress in the pro-cycling argument, so hopefully I'll be looking for a new bike fairly soon and asking all sorts of n00b questions. In the meantime, this cager's on your side.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Well, hello!

All I know about Penge comes from reading Robert Rankin, so I must immediately assume that you live above the gateway to the secret tunnels used by Himalyan monks for travelling to the centre of the earth. And that you're best friends with Soap Distant.

Ask away. We're all pretty friendly here.

Sam

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

... you live above the gateway to the secret tunnels used by Himalyan monks for travelling to the centre of the earth...

Shh! Don't tell anyone.

Penge is the butt of many jokes, most of them richly deserved. I'm actually at the Anerley end (pronounced in the way that doesn't sound rude), just before the Croydon border, if that helps. When I do get riding I'll probably want a fairly light road bike as I'll be crossing the Crystal Palace mountain range at least twice a day.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll try to dive in to some discussions later when I'm not so busy at work.

brockers

Penge is the butt of many jokes, most of them richly deserved. I'm actually at the Anerley end (pronounced in the way that doesn't sound rude), just before the Croydon border, if that helps. When I do get riding I'll probably want a fairly light road bike as I'll be crossing the Crystal Palace mountain range at least twice a day.

Going up Anerley, Westow, or Sydenham Hill, or Fountain Drive every day will make you strong pretty quickly!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Welcome to CC!

I'm South East London too - thankfully not as far as you but I certainly don't get to escape the hills where I am. There's a healthy contingent of CCer's localish to you so if you ever needed a troupe of cyclists to come round and strengthen your case!
whistling.gif
whistling.gif

Hope you get into the saddle soon and feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

Attachments

• whistling.gif
    whistling.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
L

LabRatt

Seems like you know the area. Anerley Hill/Sydenham Hill is the way I drive at the moment, but I'm thinking the longer route through Forest Hill might be better when I'm starting out.
I hope it'll be acceptable to take the MTB out for exercise rides round the South Norwood Country Park just to build my legs back up to it. As I see it, if I can ride without incident where the GF thinks it's safe (strangely, she claims she'd be happy for me to ride on rural roads, just not in town) then I might gradually shift the boundaries of what's acceptable.

'cos I'm sick of being stuck in the car. Wanna get out on a bike.

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

There's a healthy contingent of CCer's localish to you so if you ever needed a troupe of cyclists to come round and strengthen your case!

I don't think that'd go down too well, but I think she's fine with social "leisure" riding - I managed to get out on the "Tour de Penge" two years ago (Penge to Greenwich and back). Not sure if this is that kind of group, but if there's ever social meets like that I might get away with it...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yes - my comment was really meant in a tongue in cheek way!

There are social meets- we have a London ride on Sunday that meets up at Hyde Park corner and several of us come from your neck of the woods or further. Sometimes those rides head outwards towards Kent - there are loads of informal rides - check out the informal rides for leisure rides.

Oddly I find the centre of town actually much safer than cycling on rural roads - a combo of many factors such as sometimes narrower roads, higher speeds and quieter roads. It's really about using the cyclist 'spidey' senses on the road.

Through Forest Hill is a little bit easier than up along Anerley and down!

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

Yeah, the smileys told me you weren't too serious. Work's in Dulwich, so a straight line is up and down that ridge at pretty much the steepest point. Not too far, but hilly enough for an out-of-shape old codger like me.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
That's a lovely starting distance- not too far!

However, as Brockers said- the hills will get you fit faster. It is all in the mentality though when it comes to hills - I'm not a fan of hills but have chosen to live somewhere where going anywhere involves a hill of some sort!

Through Fountain drive is actually ok- it's coming back up College road that is a real slog! Of course Anerley hill is always a tough one - I remember when I used to ride in a club a while ago - they nearly finished me on my first club run as the last bit was coming back up Anerley hill having done some distances out in Kent and beyond! Jelly legs and burning lungs doesn't even describe it!

Hell- I'm not one to talk- not cycling much these days and seriously need to get back into it.

What is the GF's fears? It is understandable - my partner had this fear that London cycling was really unsafe but I got him out on the roads and he think's it's not too bad now, however my mum; never one to be convinced!

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

What is the GF's fears?

Well, there's issues I won't go into - I mean, I hardly know you - but basically mayhem, carnage, death. I know no-one likes the prospect of losing a loved one, but suffice to say there are reasons it might hit her worse. She tends to be a worst-case disaster thinker.

I suppose the way to go would be to promote the health benefits and gradually demonstrate that I'm actually safe and sensible. Of course, if that works, then any accident would probably be the end of my cycling, however minor.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Fair enough that is really understandable (my mum sounds the same actually so I can empathise).

Is it a possibility that she could come out with you on a Saturday through the commuting route? Do you know any experienced cyclists who you could ride with to begin with? Colleague at work perhaps?
I have to be honest, there are going to be small things that happen every now and then on your commute and if you think that this will mean a curfew on the roads then thought needs to go into how that gets dealt with.

If she wants a perspective from a female who used to work in the cycling industry then I'm all ears!

First things first--- get a more road orientated bike either a hybrid or a road bike- it will make climbing those hills easier- however, I know you know this
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
L

LabRatt

I think she'll get there in time, but perhaps my old argument of "I'd rather be thrown clear of a bicycle/motorcycle than trapped in a burning car" isn't the way to go. A friend points out that when he started riding a few years ago he'd never been on a bike before, and that despite his clumsiness he's not dead. He observes that I've actually got about 10 years experience riding on the road without (save the coach I mentioned) incident. That's not true actually - once a school chum cut across in front of me and hard braking sent me over the handlebars. But apart from that... She can see the sense and reason, it's just the emotional rather than rational stuff she needs to get over.

There are people who ride to work, but I dont think any come from my way. In fact my employer operates a cycle loan scheme (like the Cycle to Work scheme only without the tax relief and with the bonus of actually owning the bike when you're done paying for it) that I'll use to get a light hybrid or racer, sorry, road bike. That gives me a budget of around £1000 to spend at the local cycle shop (SE20 Cycles in Penge - swap a plug for a discount?) so I should be OK, when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm not talking about this any more. I don't want to seem resentful - I'm not - but I really want to get back out on a bike and I'm getting that shiny-new-toy-that-you-can't-afford-yet frustration.

Top Bottom