Morrisons £10 Meat Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/morrisons-creates-giant-10-meat-12192299

Having a massive debate on the Book of Faces about this and I'm wondering what fellow CCers think.

The assumption the peeps I'm debating against are making is that this lot should last the full 14 days; red meat every day for the full two weeks and saying it won't last. And then there's me, who is saying it can be done if you're very creative and think outside the box - those sausages will make 32 meatballs for starters...

It should be a piece of p**s to make this last if you have fish a couple of times in that fortnight, along with egg / cheese / veggie dishes in there as well.

I certainly don't eat meat for my main meal every day... This lot would last me for quite some time.

Well, the NHS recommends adults eat no more than 90g/day, which for a couple sticking exactly to thatwould mean , about 2.5kg for 2 weeks.

I always thought those guidelines were aspiration, thus most adult are eating more than that.

Edit: on the other hand, I guess they want controversy. If it wasn't, then you wouldn't have come here about it, and I wouldn't have briefly considered buying it - I hadn't heard of it until now.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Well, the NHS recommends adults eat no more than 90g/day, which for a couple sticking exactly to thatwould mean , about 2.5kg for 2 weeks.

I always thought those guidelines were aspiration, thus most adult are eating more than that.

90g is sort of around the 4oz mark, which is about where it's at for me. If I buy a typical sirloin or ribeye steak, that tends to do me for two days. By the time I've loaded veg & tatties on my plate, it's plenty.

Slick

Guru
90g is sort of around the 4oz mark, which is about where it's at for me. If I buy a typical sirloin or ribeye steak, that tends to do me for two days. By the time I've loaded veg & tatties on my plate, it's plenty.
I rarely eat steak now, but if on the odd occasion I do, an average rib eye is the least of my expectations.:hungry:

gaijintendo

Veteran
They claim they calculated the average people consume/buy, not what the NHS recommend.
They probably are also talking about meat from the meat aisle, rather than your frozen steak pies and chorizo topped pizzas, and steak bakes and so on.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I rarely eat steak now, but if on the odd occasion I do, an average rib eye is the least of my expectations.:hungry:

Ribeye is one of my fave cuts, so tasty. :smile:

28g in an ounce so it's closer to 3 oz than 4
And if you eat that much every day, that's nearly 1.6kg in a fortnight, and still just under a kg if you have 3 meat free days a week. So none for the kiddies!
They claim they calculated the average people consume/buy, not what the NHS recommend.
Yup, that's probably true.

My first concern when I saw the headline was about animal welfare and food safety - assuming a lot more meat than it is. It's certainly a lot less then my mother bought for five, though that might explain why neither of my parents made it to 82.

I can't remember the last time we had fresh meat from a supermarket. It seldom looks appealing to me in it's plastic wrapping, whereas, my local butchers makes my mouth water and my knees go weak every time I go in, (stop it @Fnaar).

The only trouble is that while his meat is vastly superior, (leave it @Fnaar), you certainly couldn't "feed a family" for a fortnight for a tenner.

Top Bottom