Mortirolo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Have any of you ridden up it? If so, how did you find it?

I'll be riding up it in June, and am looking forward to the challenge (it certainly looks very challenging).

Regards,

--- Victor.

Sharky

Guru
Quote from Wikipedia
In May 2004, while training in Italian Alps, Lance Armstrong said that it was the hardest climb he had ever ridden

Have a good ride
Keith

400bhp

Guru
Yes I have. It was the hardest 1 hr 15 I have ever suffered on a bike.

Actually, no that's not true. The Gavia following it was the hardest hour. Oh god, that was purgatory.

I rode it on a 34-25 bottom. I was out of the saddle 95% of the time for that hour and a quarter. I had burnt my matches 15 minutes in.

That ride taught me a lot about myself.

Would I do it again - absolutely.:becool:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes I have. It was the hardest 1 hr 15 I have ever suffered on a bike.

Actually, no that's not true. The Gavia following it was the hardest hour. Oh god, that was purgatory.

I rode it on a 34-25 bottom. I was out of the saddle 95% of the time for that hour and a quarter. I had burnt my matches 15 minutes in.

That ride taught me a lot about myself.

Would I do it again - absolutely.:becool:
:smile: That's exactly what I'll be doing on day 2 of the tour: Mortirolo then Gavia. I can't wait. :hyper:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Forgot to mention, @400bhp : the hire bikes provided by the tour company (I'll be using one, since I can't be bothered with the stress of bringing my own) have gearing of 50/34 front and 11..32 rear, ideal for steep climbs. :okay:

Polocini

Veteran
We do it late in June and it can get very hot. The Pantani side is the hardest. Had 36/25 on and it was doable. Not much time to rest, it's just relentless.
I preferred the other climb from the same side. More scenic and it lets off a few times.
It's hard to follow in the support vehicle with water etc so if you normally rely on a vehicle with you, then don't. Use the springs at the side of the road if you are low on water. And fill up before you need to. If you've got a half full bottle then take the 30 seconds to fill it. Don't wait for the next spring as you won't know where they are!!

AL

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We do it late in June and it can get very hot. The Pantani side is the hardest. Had 36/25 on and it was doable. Not much time to rest, it's just relentless.
I preferred the other climb from the same side. More scenic and it lets off a few times.
It's hard to follow in the support vehicle with water etc so if you normally rely on a vehicle with you, then don't. Use the springs at the side of the road if you are low on water. And fill up before you need to. If you've got a half full bottle then take the 30 seconds to fill it. Don't wait for the next spring as you won't know where they are!!

AL
Which is the Pantani side? Is that from Grosio or Mazzo di Valtellina? As far as I can tell just from looking at maps, the ascent from Monno is the easiest, but feel free to correct me.
I'm looking forward to tackling it!

Polocini

Veteran
The Pantani corner is up from mazzo. I like the climb from Grosio though.

AL

Top Bottom