Moseley Road to University of Manchester via Birchfields, Anson, Upper Brook Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nihon

Hy everyone, forum newbie but I've been shadowing the forum for a while looking up tips for road cycling as it's not something I've really done 'properly' before.

Second year UoM Uni student, moving in to a house in Fallowfield next year. Since the Uni rider is around 200 quid, I decided it would be more economical/better for my health to cycle.

The route I've planned to use avoids Wilmslow road which looks like a death trap. It heads up Moseley for a short while, turns onto Birchfields and continues all the way up until this road becomes Upper Brook Street. I'll be turning off down a side road to University from around Tai-Pan restaurant area.

I'm still at home so haven't been able to actually cycle this route yet though I imagine it's one that is popular with commuters. Just wondering if it's particularly hazardous or if anyone has any major problems with it? Since I'm not an experienced road cyclist I must admit I am hesitant to get on the road without fear of getting knocked off. I guess practice will make me more confident but for now I think I need reassurance!

Alternatively if anyone knows any better routes from Moseley Road feel free to suggest.

NB: I like to think I am a sensible cyclist, and won't be riding like many other student cyclists I see darting across the line of the Magic Bus.

Schneil

Veteran
Hi nihon
I regularly cycle up Anson road and upper brook street. It's not as bad as the a6, but I'd say a bit busy for a novice. A nice quiet route for a novice from mosely road would be:
Head up the shared use path that runs through Owens park.
Cross old hall lane
Head up the next shared use path. It'll bring you out onto Brighton grove
Turn right
Then left onto birch grove.
At the end of birch grove, turn left onto dickenson road
Then right onto aylesford road
Right onto Kent road
Left onto lower park road
At the end of lower park road turn left onto oxford place
At the end of Oxford place, use the cut through to cross wilmslow road
Use the shared use path that runs past whitworth park and halls.
You'll come out onto oxford road at the junction with Grafton street
You'll be able to use the bus lane to get to the uni.
How's that sound?

OP
OP
nihon

nihon

Thanks for the alternative route, Schneil! I will try out both and see which I feel more comfortable with.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Upper Brook Street can be a bit busy esp rush hour and theres a few points where people squeeze by, I wouldn't be in a rush to use it until you've got familiar with it through a cyclists eyes at quieter times. Can't add much else Schniels route would be a better starter one

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Schniels route is one used by the bike to work routes, and it's an official cycle route. It's quite pleasant, but it does bring you out next to Edinburgh Bike coop and you cross into the park for the shared use path.

I use the A34 route all the time and find it fine, but it is busy.

Buzzinonbikes

It's the opposite side of Wilmslow road, but if ever heading in from Withington/West Didsbury or further afield I usually follow Yew Tree road which after a couple of turns brings you out right behind the main Library. It's mostly quiet and only has one bus route (111).

biking_fox

Guru
The only difficult bit of Upper Brook St I find is right at the top end of it going onto North campus, where you have to take the righthand lane (of three) avoiding the cars speeding up for the ringroad in the centre lane.

Generally a more direct route is a lot faster than something with junctions every 5 mins. But it depends if you're riding in at speed, or taking it easy. You may well want to use one route some days, and the other at other times.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Call me crazy but I would (and did for 2 years) just cycle down Wilmslow/Oxford road.

Loon :tongue:

A34 is best if you like to make 'rapid progress' :cycle:

Schneil

Veteran
Wilmslow Road in Rusholme is a known cycle accident blackspot. Too many bad drivers, little parking enforcement, and a cycle lane in a door zone. So I feel the curry mile is best avoided by a novice.
A34/Upper Brook Street is a bit tricky on the stretch around microdirect. There is a single yellow line here, but during the day it gets filled with parked cars, so you have to watch door zones and impatient drivers.
Also at the bottom of Anson road there is a school. The bus lane on the Southbound side gets blocked around 3-4pm by parents picking kids up from school. The roundabout at Birchfields is not one for a novice.

Nihon - do you know that bikeright do free bikeability cycle training funded by the council?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wilmslow Road in Rusholme is a known cycle accident blackspot. Too many bad drivers, little parking enforcement, and a cycle lane in a door zone. So I feel the curry mile is best avoided by a novice.
A34/Upper Brook Street is a bit tricky on the stretch around microdirect. There is a single yellow line here, but during the day it gets filled with parked cars, so you have to watch door zones and impatient drivers.
Also at the bottom of Anson road there is a school. The bus lane on the Southbound side gets blocked around 3-4pm by parents picking kids up from school. The roundabout at Birchfields is not one for a novice.

Nihon - do you know that bikeright do free bikeability cycle training funded by the council?

I know, 1st hand experience, knocked off by an uninsured driver! There was already a cyclist down when I got hit.

Schneil

Veteran
I know, 1st hand experience, knocked off by an uninsured driver! There was already a cyclist down when I got hit.
Was visiting a friend and had a bump on Wilmslow Road tonight! Guy in a corsa decided to turn right in front of me. Luckily he just tapped my front wheel, bike looks OK. Could have been a lot worse. Avoid Wilmslow Road.

fudgepanda

If you can stay off the main roads it'll be best, bearing in mind I speak of that area only as a (cough) driver. Pauses to let tumbleweed roll across in front of me. I think Wilmslow Rd heading south has a wide bus/cycle lane, but most of the comments so far on here do apply well to that road. Birchfields Rd., Wilmslow Rd., Moseley Rd., Upper Brook St., are all arterial routes so full of stressed commuters who really should have got up earlier. Strangely enough I was down there the other day looking at some bikes in the Bicycle Doctor. Trying not to sound unduly pessimistic, but if this is your first year out of "Halls", be careful as there are quite a few people who would really love to deprive you of your belongings, both while cycling and at home. So (not trying to teach me Grannie to suck eggs) keep your wits about you.

Top Bottom