Mosquitoes. Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Some of the pubs are very remote and priced thereafter. The Bridge Of Orchy pub is a good, scary example. The chippies in Portree and Tarbet (Isle Of Harris) had Glasgow prices, but with refreshing high quality. The fish & chips I had in Portree two years ago still sends me singing it's praises (and the crows outside my window scatter in panic when I start...). I would base myself on the chippies due to the quality of the grub. For the pubs, I am not sure and others than me is better informed. The tourist informations is always very helpful in this respect. Ring/ask them.

cnb

Veteran
I have read somewhere that if you eat marmite for a couple of weeks it puts the little buggers off...I dont know whats worse.....

Stonepark

Über Member
Most of the pubs aren't too bad, can usually get burger and chips for £9ish, but some remote places with no competition (islands where only 1 hotel) tend to be £3-5 more expensive for a meal.

Danny

Legendary Member
Bit off topic, apologies, but I figured most people looking at this thread now will be people with experience in Scotland... how are food prices in pubs and the like in the Western Isles/Highlands/Western Perthshire regions? I'm a student, so it's 100% price over quality, but I just wondered if it's reasonable to budget for evening meals out each night or whether I need to think of alternative arrangements...?
In my limited experience pub prices are about normal - but you you are aren't going to find any "2 meals for a fiver" type offers.

Paul J

Bit off topic, apologies, but I figured most people looking at this thread now will be people with experience in Scotland... how are food prices in pubs and the like in the Western Isles/Highlands/Western Perthshire regions? I'm a student, so it's 100% price over quality, but I just wondered if it's reasonable to budget for evening meals out each night or whether I need to think of alternative arrangements...?

Since Tesco's took over the main store in Stornoway a few years ago prices are ok but choices will be limited as it's not a big store so they tend to stock less of the 'value' stuff. Local shops are expensive but not much more than on the mainland. It's sundays where you might struggle to buy prepared food as most shops are shut due to the sabbath so have supplies ready.

stumpy66

Veteran
It all depends on the wind, Martin. I refer to my fellow bike riders posts above. They are spot on and the local guy Paul J is very probably spot on.

Cairngorms vs the islands is basically a choice between landscapes. Not about midges. I personally rate the islands as the best scenery in the British Isles. Western Isles in particular is fantastic and dead cheap on a bike. You get huge discounts on the ferries by using the Hopscotch tickets. I would go from Oban to Barra and then north to Stornoway. I don't think you will find a finer bike ride anywhere in Europe. My personal view, supported by many others.
Totally agree, ive toured the western isles the last two summers, and will hopefully go back next year, when i came back i couldnt help but wish i was still there, especially when back to work :smile:

Paul J

Totally agree, ive toured the western isles the last two summers, and will hopefully go back next year, when i came back i couldnt help but wish i was still there, especially when back to work :smile:

Visiting is always better. I lived there for 8 years and I wouldn't go back for any sum of money. When the weather is fine you have the bugs from the moorland, the beaches are covered with flies from the washed up kelp and when winter comes its hell. Fishing is very good though all year round.

OP
OP
M

martinwhprice

Big thanks to you all - thanks to the comments here my route has changed considerably, and I'm 100% sure it's for the better!
For anyone interested, this is what I'm doing. Anyone who will be in the same place as me at any point (this is all mid to late Aug), let me know!

(Remember, this is my first tour, and first time camping, so distances reflect this!)
Day 1 - Driven to Moffat, cycle west to Galloway Forest Park and surrounding area (inc Bladnoch distillery) (1.5 days)
Day 3 - Driven to Luss, cycle parts of the Trossachs and then head east to Stirling and surroundings (2 days).
Day 5 - Driven to Oban, Ferry to Mull, camp on Calgary Bay.
Day 6 - Ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan (mainland). Cycle up to Mallaig (1.5 days)
Day 7 - Ferry over to Skye, days cycle ending in Portree
Day 8 - Northern part of Skye, ferry to Tarbet (Isle of Lewis), camp on a beach somewhere on Harris
Day 9 - Ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool, cycle down to Millarochy in Loch Lomond*** (3 or 4 days)
Day 13 - Leave the bike with the drivers and train to Edinburgh for Fringe Fest (3 days)
Day 16 - Evening train down to Kendal (Lake Disctrict)
Day 17 - Cycle around part of the Lakes
Day 18 - Cycle East for a route around the Dales
Day 19 - Driven back to Devon!

***Not sure whether to take the route down Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal and down around Lomond, or whether to come down through Inverness and the Cairngorms. Ideally I want to do the Loch/Canal/Lomond route - after all it was seeing these that first inspired me to do this tour - but I'm scared of the midges around here, wherever I have to stop and camp! Suggestions welcome!

snorri

Legendary Member
- but I'm scared of the midges around here, wherever I have to stop and camp! Suggestions welcome!
I think you are over concerned regarding midgies, but one of these hats with nets will keep them off your face and neck, the rest of your skin will be covered with your clothes anyway unless you wear shorts, which few do in these parts.
Day 8, the ferry from Uig in Skye actually goes to Tarbert, Isle of Harris.(Tarbat, Tarbert,Tarbet, it's all very confusing^_^)
I would prefer to follow the cycle route beside the A9 south from Inverness rather than via the Great Glen and Glencoe which I have always found to be unpleasantly busy with motor traffic in summer. There are options to turn west via Trinafour or near Pitlochry towards Drymen and Loch Lomond.

Not a bad little Campsite not far from Tarbert,
Near to Drinishader at GR NG176941 HS3 3DX for Google Earth
They call themselves Minch ViewTouring Park, but only have space for about 14 tents, but nice clean loo's
Last Time I was in Tarbert there was a very good Cafe by the harbour which sold nice big breakfasts

Top Bottom