1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Keith Oates, 8 Aug 2007.

1. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Does anyone know any good reason why these little perishers are on this earth. There are times when they drive me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Big Bren

Big Bren New Member

The deadliest creature on earth apparently, in that they kill more humans each year than any other animal!

Bren

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I had one in my room the other night, just dropping off and... "bzzzzzzz....." lights on, spend ages trying to swat the little bastard only for it to disapear, lights off, just dropping off and "bzzzzzzz....." etc. etc. No more sleep for me that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mosschops2

mosschops2 New Member

I went to the Nottingham Riverside Festival on Saturday night, and got bitten on my ankle.... by morning the bite was bigger than the palm of my hand!! Luckily it's gone down now thank goodness....

5. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

More humans have been killed throughout all history by mosquitoes than by all the wars combined together.

6. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

keeps the population down though!

7. chris42

chris42 New Member

Sandwich in Kent has a bit of a problem with them at the moment!
    Bitten 3 times this morning

8. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

That's more like it!

9. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

When I was on holiday in Avignon there were loads of the blighters. Before we turned in, we smacked them with a rolled up newspaper (despite knowing they do, it always surprises me how much blood they contain) and turning them into smears on the wall. Anyway, we thought we had shut the shutters so we'd be fine in the night, yet when we woke we looked at each other and saw a million angry red spots on our faces and shoulders, grrrrrrrrr.

I found out later there is a popular proverb about Avignon:

Avenie ventosa, sine vento venenosa, cum vento fastidiosa
    (windy Avignon, pest-ridden when there is no wind, wind-pestered when there is).

10. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I am carrying anti mosquito wipes in my panniers for this reason. Not as heavy as a spray tin and smaller. They drive me nuts.

11. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

The wife is currently off work with her leg up on the couch - ankle was bitten at the weekend and has really blown up. Her whole leg is on fire!

So far I've got away without being mauled by the little bleeders [touch wood].

12. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

ankle biters are the worst!

13. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

Eat plenty of garlic, that keeps the little blighters away.

As for their affect on humans, they have been responsible for killing more people than anything else. I'm sure I heard once that they have killed half of all people that have ever lived!

14. gpx001

gpx001 Senior Member

15. chris42

chris42 New Member

I was on antiboitics last month with one at the back of my knee.;)