Mosquitoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

The deadliest creature on earth apparently, in that they kill more humans each year than any other animal!

Bren

domtyler

Über Member
I had one in my room the other night, just dropping off and... "bzzzzzzz....." lights on, spend ages trying to swat the little bastard only for it to disapear, lights off, just dropping off and "bzzzzzzz....." etc. etc. No more sleep for me that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mosschops2

I went to the Nottingham Riverside Festival on Saturday night, and got bitten on my ankle.... by morning the bite was bigger than the palm of my hand!! Luckily it's gone down now thank goodness....

Mr Phoebus

Big Bren said:
The deadliest creature on earth apparently, in that they kill more humans each year than any other animal!

Bren

More humans have been killed throughout all history by mosquitoes than by all the wars combined together.

Melvil

When I was on holiday in Avignon there were loads of the blighters. Before we turned in, we smacked them with a rolled up newspaper (despite knowing they do, it always surprises me how much blood they contain) and turning them into smears on the wall. Anyway, we thought we had shut the shutters so we'd be fine in the night, yet when we woke we looked at each other and saw a million angry red spots on our faces and shoulders, grrrrrrrrr.

I found out later there is a popular proverb about Avignon:

Avenie ventosa, sine vento venenosa, cum vento fastidiosa
(windy Avignon, pest-ridden when there is no wind, wind-pestered when there is).

Bigtallfatbloke

I am carrying anti mosquito wipes in my panniers for this reason. Not as heavy as a spray tin and smaller. They drive me nuts.

Shaun

Founder
The wife is currently off work with her leg up on the couch - ankle was bitten at the weekend and has really blown up. Her whole leg is on fire!

So far I've got away without being mauled by the little bleeders [touch wood].

fuzzy29

Eat plenty of garlic, that keeps the little blighters away.

As for their affect on humans, they have been responsible for killing more people than anything else. I'm sure I heard once that they have killed half of all people that have ever lived!

gpx001

Über Member
Admin said:
The wife is currently off work with her leg up on the couch - ankle was bitten at the weekend and has really blown up. Her whole leg is on fire! quote]

My sympathies are with her. I've been off work today too with the same thing. Bitten on the lower calf last week, ignored it, pain got worse and ended up with an ankle that wouldn't look out of place on Nellie the Elephant ;) The worse thing is it has curtailed my riding for a few days - Sheesh

Jas

chris42

gpx001;36076][quote=Admin said:
The wife is currently off work with her leg up on the couch - ankle was bitten at the weekend and has really blown up. Her whole leg is on fire! quote]

My sympathies are with her. I've been off work today too with the same thing. Bitten on the lower calf last week, ignored it, pain got worse and ended up with an ankle that wouldn't look out of place on Nellie the Elephant :ohmy: The worse thing is it has curtailed my riding for a few days - Sheesh

Jas

I was on antiboitics last month with one at the back of my knee.;)

Top Bottom