Most theft proof colour?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Bizarre thread to be starting but there you go!
I'm ordering a custom frameset on the cycle to work scheme, it will be a thing of beauty to the well trained eye but I'd like to make an effort to make it look like a very unappealing prospect for our local tea leaves when locked up around Brizzle (I have secure parking at work but it still ends up at the station and outside random shops and pubs on occasion).

So what do you reckon?

Turd brown?
Garish fluro filth?
Bizarre glitter finish?
Sarah Beeney beige?

Only decal it'll have is 'Hewitt' on the down tube + whatever columbus tubing the frame builder decides on.

For added security: full mudguards; it'll rarely (if ever) be washed; no bling parts (cane creek headset, crappy old shimano 600 crankset, on-one hubs & rigida rims); and big beefy lock.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Get it and build it up like i built up my shitter.
Lie it on the patio and work on it, dont worry about scratches or chips from the pain
Simple.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mine was yelllow, but its yellow with bit bits of pain missing so you see the steel underneath, its also got a load of oil and writing on it aswell.:sad:

I dont think it really matters what colour it is though, just bash it about abit.
Ill do it if you like.:wacko::ohmy:

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I'm just trying to decide whether or not it's more appealing if it's a boring inconspicuous colour (like black, grey or dark blue) or if I should go for something that stands out for more attention. Might just buy and even bigger lock and chance something tastful!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got an old Dawes 653 framed 'Omega' off ebay, finished in a lovely combination of purple, yellow and white, with accents of light rust and the odd dent. Apart from inducing slight nausea if I'm unwise enough to catch sight of it, it's the bidniss. Absolutely scrote-proof I'd say.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've an old Raleigh in the stables that's black and lime green - an eyesore!!

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Like it!

I think I'm just going to do what we all do in these circumstances - consult a woman. Something bright and breezy and a bloody big lock.

Jonathan M

A 1980's catalogue bike colour scheme, you know the kind, where the centres of the tubes are white, but at the ends, the headtube etc are in a bland purple type of colour.

You could even get the Hewitt logo done in a "Raleigh"esque font, red & gold type two tone to really try and blend in with the squaky never seen a can of oil ride to work type bike that has been used daily for the last 25 years or so!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah but some of those 80's retro colours are making a comeback in trendy London and just draw attention to your bike- stick with the turd brown - the most unappealing colour ever - a mate of mine had a brown bike and my old hybrid is brown as well - in fact said mate had the lock cut and his friends bike was stolen which was resting on top of his bike and his was left all evening unattached to a bike stand..says it all really...the irony was it was a pretty decent bike though a few years old.

Top Bottom