Motivation for the weak willed snacker...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah! Are you slowly recovering from your injuries or are you finding alternative ways of coping?
Very slowly recovering...I have been swimming and using the gym (non weight bearing/resistance machines)...but no more for the next 4 weeks :angry:
I'm bad at snacking in the evenings so the gym got me out the house (as did cycling in Lockdown 1.0)

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T is into yoga and finds the non-weight-bearing aspects of stretching and flexing really helps her joints and flexibility as she has hip joint / shoulder and [sometimes] lower back pain - any use?

Jody

Stubborn git
These are the things that have worked for me this year. I'm down to 63kg and I haven't drastically altered anything in my life but lockdown has allowed me to reset a few areas. I'd describe my will power as non existent, so for me its been a big struggle to make small changes.

Go cold turkey on sugar and crisps for 1-2 weeks. It's only when you have something sweet again do you realise how quickly the cravings start. It was a real eye opened for me.

Don't feel guilty for having a treat. The more you avoid it, the more you feel guilty for having succumbed to temptation.

Look at how much small changes can add up. It might only be 1 small chocolate biscuit bar a day but drop to every other day and that is around 1lb loss (or not gaining) every two months

Ask your partner to buy the stuff only he/she likes and keep that where they usually live. Then set yourself a snack tin somewhere for the stuff you like. It might just be me, but if I know I have x amount stashed away then I am not thinking about sharing something. It's also there when I want it, with no disappointment of the last one having been snaffled. If I look in the cupboard, there is nothing I like and that is a reminder why my stash is hidden away.

Change your wardrobe as your weight goes down. No point in staying in the same clothes as you have enough room to comfortably grow back into them.

Jody

Stubborn git
Don’t ask me.....I’ve just had 2 bags of crisps! :laugh:

You're doing it wrong. I cut down to only half a bag a day :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Mrs A_T is into yoga and finds the non-weight-bearing aspects of stretching and flexing really helps her joints and flexibility as she has hip joint / shoulder and [sometimes] lower back pain - any use?
Not if it involves standing on one leg or kneeling unfortunately!!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Not if it involves standing on one leg or kneeling unfortunately!!
She seems to spend a lot of time sitting or lying down... she's particularly good at the meditation section lying on her back on the mat concentrating on breathing exercises with her eyes closed. I must have a go.

Her Zoom class does collapse in hysterics [they are all ladies of a certain age] when pressure on abdomens is released inadvertently...

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Snacks: prepared processed foods are (probably) deliberately formulated to keep you wanting more.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How have others strengthened their will power, what motivated you enough to "just say no" (any Zammo fans:laugh:) and how do i go cold turkey on Wotsits and Penguins
3 weeks at home becoming desperately ill, 9 days in hospital, and a further 2 years of recovery did the trick for me! :okay:

Booze was my original weakness but I haven't touched it since. I replaced that with a chocolate habit... It took me 6 months to replace the 125-150 g of choc a night habit with a 6 Bakewell tarts a night habit... That got replaced with a Brazil nuts/raisins plus 0.25 L of OJ with sparkling mineral water habit... Now my nightly treat is generally a mug of tea and/or a bottle of chilled tap water

After 8 years I finally... don't drink booze, don't buy chocolate**, don't buy cake**, don't buy nuts/raisins**, don't drink OJ**.

My weight is still slowly falling even though I have only done about 25% of my usual cycling distance this year.

** Generally speaking, that is - I do allow myself the odd treat now and then, maybe once or twice a week.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Top Bottom