motivation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
:ohmy: Sorry if this is a thread already, but couldn't see ought.

Anyways, I need some tips on motivation. Haven't cycled for like 2 months now (a few times but only a few miles or so) and havn't been since. it's not that I dont like cycling, that not the problem, because i love cycling once I get out there. Iv'e googled motivation and simular subjects, and not much is helpful.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Kovu x

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What is your life style like.....

i.e. can you commute on a bike, when do you try to ride, how many hours do you work/study etc...

Lot's of rel life experience on here - just let us know what you are up to !

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Im 15 so at school. Alot of Course work latley, but usually don't do that until 6:00, get home about 4:00. Can cycle monday to thursday.

Started eating healthier now as well to get fit

Blue

Legendary Member
A couple of days ago I was walking my bike out of my garage and my neighbour noticed me and commented "I suppose getting on the bike is the hardest part of a bike ride, eh". My reply was "no, getting up the hill at the end is the hardest part"(I live on top of a small hill).

I suppose my neighbour was, like you, getting at the motivation issue. I remember once reading in a running mag that the hardest part of any training run was the first step. To an extent this is true, however, over the years I have found that developing a routine solves this issue and the pleasure of the rest of the exercise session become the only part that sits at the forefront of ones mind. In other words if you force yourself to develop a routine you will develop a way of life that eventually ceases to be a chore.

Concentrate on what you like about cycling to help overcome any lack of motivation at the moment.

Set yourself a schedule.

Make it realistic and achievable.

Go out and do it.

Don't think about each one until you come to do it. Leave the decision about whether you'll go until you've kitted up and got the bike ready.

Don't start the clock from moment one - taper in and taper out.

If you miss one, worry not, go back one or move on one.

Put plenty of variety in what you do, that'll make it interesting.

redfox

Clive Atton said:
Before climbing on your bike I suggest you take an English language course and learn to use capital letters and punctuation.............

Wow that's helpful. :ohmy:

If you don't already, I find keeping a ride log helps.

stephec

Legendary Member
Clive Atton said:
Before climbing on your bike I suggest you take an English language course and learn to use capital letters and punctuation.............

That always helps me when I don't feel like riding as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quiet day at work?

go for a walk somewhere where you're likely to see cyclists... this might get the urge to ride back.

it'll be harder this time of year, the daylight hours are shrinking and it's colder.

it could be you just don't want to ride. if you force it it might make it worse. maybe wash the bike, oil the cables and gears, etc, play with it indoors - fettle. it might make you want to take it outside and play.

good luck

L

Bigtallfatbloke

I say give the kid a break...this aint no fred 'bout grammer is it..:rolleyes:

...At age 16 I got my first road bike ( a Rayeigh) it was green and had one of those shifters on the tube instead of the bars...anyway...Two months later myself and two skool mates cycled from London to Paris taking the long route along the coast to le Havre and down through Rouen and back...we took 2 weeks and it was th ebest summer of my life. I had twin water bottles mounted on my handlebars with straws (one full of scotch the other full of water...we smoked, drank, ate, and slept rough when we couldnt find a hostel. We chatted up girls and set fire to a shed by accident. We got into a fight with some bikers and we had dinner with some lunatics from an asylum...it was a great adventure...free from parents, teachers...just us our bikes and the open road, how about something like that?:rolleyes::biggrin:

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Cheers guys, this has actually helped a lot! Well I have a week off school this week, so am going to try and get some miles in and get in a routine (hopefully).

Fair enough I guess. I have to say I’m not the best with spelling and am often classed as lazy. Though others are worst than me (and cheers BFTB!)

Just ignore the niggles and get out.

Quite often I get up in the morning and think that I can't be bothered to ride in and will drive instead. Grabbing that thought and not letting it get any further works.

I just have so many ‘niggles’ and find them hard to ignore (like coursework and other such things). Although I usually end up spending two hours on the computer before I even begin, and most times that isn’t doing homework. But I’m often not even doing anything on the computer that’s worthwhile.

A couple of days ago I was walking my bike out of my garage and my neighbour noticed me and commented "I suppose getting on the bike is the hardest part of a bike ride, eh". My reply was "no, getting up the hill at the end is the hardest part"(I live on top of a small hill).

I suppose my neighbour was, like you, getting at the motivation issue. I remember once reading in a running mag that the hardest part of any training run was the first step.

Concentrate on what you like about cycling to help overcome any lack of motivation at the moment.

For me hardest part is getting on it! And for doing the concentration part, I just love the feel of being able to go out on a ride and come back with a clear mind. I’ve read a lot that most people go through a stage where they don’t feel up to it or anything.

go for a walk somewhere where you're likely to see cyclists... this might get the urge to ride back.

Actually while I was in the car this morning saw about four or five people on bikes and I was like I want to go out!

free from parents, teachers...just us our bikes and the open road, how about something like that?:rolleyes::biggrin:

Wow I like that idea. That actually sounds really good. Iv'e set myself an aim of 100 miles in june (when I leave school) so should be able to do that.

Thanks to those I haven't mentioned as well, this has helped! :rolleyes:

Bigtallfatbloke

Wow I like that idea. That actually sounds really good. Iv'e set myself an aim of 100 miles in june (when I leave school) so should be able to do that.

at age 16 you should be fit enuff to just pack your bags and go....we just took it one day at a time and never had any fitness problems (apart form hangovers).

If you do go...be sure to leave a route plan with someone & be safe.

Top Bottom