motivational advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
cyclebum said:
I think in retrospect I started too early. The reccomended training programme they sent us is for 6 months but by the time I get out there I will have done nearer to 11!

Well, there you are. You can in fact sit indoors and eat cake for a couple of months now... :sad:

Nah, keep up whatever you can, and I bet when you get to India, you'll find you're 'better' than at least some of the others. Remember how you realised you were doing OK on that Cotswolds trip? You've well and truely stored up the memory of how to keep going, and once you're on that road in India, it will come back to you, no matter how many miserable wet days you have between now and then. Remember, I did my first week long lone tour, averaging 45ish miles per day, on the basis of one training ride of about 30 miles, from which I almost had to drag myself the last 5 miles or so, and a steady amount of pootling about town. Same with my French recumbent trip two years ago - although after 7 years of leisure cycling I had a few more miles under my belt, I still failed to 'train' properly, and managed to keep up for the necessary 40-50 miles a day.

Don't let a few off days get you down. It's a miserable season, and India won't be like this....

cyclebum said:
Perhaps if I slowed down the pace and concentrated more on the distance.

There you are, cyclebum! You hit the nail on the head! :sad:
You've seen that Duracell ad on the box with those hares/rabbits racing away (there's an analogy there somewhere! ;)).
Maintaining a steady pace over a long distance is better than sprinting like crazy for the first bit, then bonking/burning out. No one sprints a marathon.
I'm sure Cathryn would be happy to advise you of what you likely to encounter on your trip!
Good luck again. :biggrin:

alicat

Legendary Member
Cyclebum

I've said it before but why don't you join a local group such as your local CTC section. It is easier to stay motivated in a group; they can give you feedback and encouragement for your trip and give you tips on building stamina which is what it seems you need.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks again you lot. I have to say that this has been brewing for 3-4 weeks now, (not just from yesturday) and yesturday was just the topping that made me start to feel a bit too low about it all.
Actually I did take the advice on board today and I am feeling alot more positive this afternoon. Tuesday is a big gym day for me, xbiking immediatley followed by an aerobics/weights session. I started off the xbiking feeling so sluggish, but by the last track which was a cracking sprinter and I was really pleased with myself. So instead of aerobics I treated myself to the steam room and jacoozi and I don't feel in the least bit guilty. :sad:
I'm still abit worried by those long runs as I would rather do the endurance bit here so I can really enjoy the experience in India, but between you all I think the perspective is coming back, at least I now know where to look if I need another nudge during the next couple of months, by just reading whats on here.

THANK YOU ALL:biggrin:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
There you are, cyclebum! You hit the nail on the head! :sad:
You've seen that Duracell ad on the box with those hares/rabbits racing away (there's an analogy there somewhere! ;)).
Maintaining a steady pace over a long distance is better than sprinting like crazy for the first bit, then bonking/burning out. No one sprints a marathon.
I'm sure Cathryn would be happy to advise you of what you likely to encounter on your trip!
Good luck again. :biggrin:

I was just about to post!! Don't forget Cyclebum that Rajasthan is as flat as a pancake and lovely and warm!! It's also fascinating, the miles really do fly by.

I managed 6 miles last week - I'm down to that kind of mileage as it's so horrid and cold. I'm now running again, so keeping fitness levels decent.

Please try not to worry...you're going to be fabulous.

Have you got any new clothes to wear? If not, go and buy some as that always cheers me up.

x

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Ah retail therapy, where would we be without it:tongue:
Actually the bit of Rajisthan we are in does have a few hills and we are climbing a few. Theres also the sand as well as other off road bits, but that will all be part of the fun ! :sad:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah, I developed good sand riding skills!!

You'll be fine though, I promise. Adrenaline gets you up a good couple of hills. Someone mentioned a turbo trainer. Horrid things but may be worth it.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I'm sure cathryn doesnt mind Dayvo, besides we've already exchanged a fair number of PM's about the 'practicalities' about cycling in India in the past :biggrin::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get down to Decathlon again for some late night shopping........ another £60 tonight, although only £4.99 was for me (winter socks for bike).... good running shoes for the wife, a karate kit for son and some golf balls for the bro in law, and some other bits for missus.... dangerous that shop..... it's one of the only shops I like excusing bike shops of course...

Cyclebum, any chance of posting a link/emailing me a copy of this training schedule you were given? Feel I could do with some guidance and inspiration now that I have signed up for Amsterdame (and that is in about 6months, so now would be a good time to start I suppose...)

Provided I ever get rid of this stupid cold!:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
I was just about to post!! Don't forget Cyclebum that Rajasthan is as flat as a pancake and lovely and warm!! It's also fascinating, the miles really do fly by.

That sounds fab. Are there elephants?:biggrin:

Top Bottom