Motobecane mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phillp

Regular
Hi - can anyone identify the model and age of this Motobecane. I haven't been able to find a similar one on the internet.
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9351.JPG
    IMG_9351.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 36

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've seen a similar DM2 from 1978 but I think the pictured one is older because of the chain guard and the more ornate rear rack. The hubs haven't got dates stamped on them, have they?

avecReynolds531

Veteran

That's a lovely bicycle. Congrats on finding the Motobecane.
Agree with berceau frame design, and checking components (brakes, gears, hubs) for date stamps.
Reckon it's 1960s (could be completely wrong!), but difficult to be more accurate, as sometimes bikes were left largely unchanged for years or decades.
I couldn't find earlier catalogues: from the 1967 Motobecane models, clearly shows the chainset and chainguard design on the bike. Also, the Type C.T.F. description seems to match quite a bit - but not fully: chromed fork crown, inverted brake levers & cantilever brakes, mudguards, 650b, dynamo etc... but I'm guessing the lovely metal cases - complete with Motobecane motif - on the rear rack, date from earlier.
There will be other people on the forum who know more. It may also be worthwhile posting at the US-based Bikeforums as there is a lot of interest and knowledge re French bikes.

p.s. looks like a Presta/ Schrader valve mix with the wheels

OP
OP
P

phillp

Regular
Many thanks all for the info - and well done Midlife, that's the only photo I have seen of the exact bike. . The Berceau is definitely the one. I have seen what are described as Motobecane 650B's

OP
OP
P

phillp

Regular
continued! .... that are not the same style at all - or does 650B relate to something other than the frame design? I was describing it as a mixte but it seems that a mixte with bent down tubes is called a berceau.
Berceau
It caught my eye at an autojumble - the lovely details like the rear pannier cases, the inverted brake levers etc. So at the end of the day it was still there and I was able to make an offer! It probably looks a lot better in the photo than in real life but I don't intend to try and restore the paintwork. I don't think it was stored very well as there is some corrosion on the wheels but all in all it's not bad for its age. Not sure what the plans are yet but I'll probably sell it.

OP
OP
P

phillp

Regular
Thanks for the info. The tyres have 44-584 (650B SC) on them.The wheel diameter (less tyre) is 600mm. The hubs just have 'Normandy' etched on them.

Top Bottom