Motorbikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Digressing slightly ...
there must be a lot of 6th sense from the riders. Or unwritten etiquette. Because I often see the motos in crazy places in/around the bunch, but the riders avoid them effortlessly (despite doing full-gas leadouts at 30mph).

Accidents seem pretty rare, considering the chaotic appearance on TV. (I think the last DNF was from Alaphillipe rear-ending a moto in the autumn Tour of Flanders??)

Would make a good interview topic for some recent ex-pros.

Totally - I guess without showing it they get used to the sound, progress of stage, look of road, even the motorbike riders’ style after a few days and probably know there is a strong possibility it is going to be in x place at that moment.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

There are a couple of things I hate about watching road racing. One of them is the apparent self-importance that motorcycles and support cars display as they weave and wend their way through the race. Sometimes you have more cars on-screen than bikes. I get that it is how it is and those involved are largely well-versed in it all, but there are some famous (and, no doubt, less well-known) incidents where riders have been punted off by a vehicle.

The other peave is the brazen littering of bidons, but that is for another thread.

I agree to a point and then my personal gripe is the acceleration and speed they use - plain ‘showing off’ at times and never excusable if the risk outweighs other factors.

Adam4868

Guru
There not all bad 🙄
A cyclist riding two and half metres behind a motorbike experiences a 48 per cent reduction in drag, equating to more than two seconds gained for every ten seconds, while a cyclist riding 30 metres behind a motorbike has their drag reduced by 12 per cent gaining 2.6 seconds with every passing minute.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did they say that?
"We can't deal with bidons AND dangerous barriers, sorry!"
Not overtly. UCI doesn't do overt like that. But how else to interpret this reply to criticism it left loads out?

UCI President David Lappartient: “The safety and well-being of athletes are at the heart of the UCI’s preoccupations. I am pleased that several decisions have been taken to improve these, notably a series of unprecedented measures to reinforce safety during road races and support for the CPA and CPA Women, organisations representing men and women riders, in this period that is difficult for all our sport’s members."

It's a pretty vague statement - feel free to interpret as you see fit :-)

figbat

Slippery scientist
I recall that the bidon issue seemed to revolve around their ability to cause an accident rather than the environmental littering. Some will tell you that all discarded bidons get lapped up by spectators but I've seen them being heaved over precipices, into valleys, into undergrowth and in places there are no fans - I'm sure plenty just stay where they fall. Gel wrappers seem to have been mostly dealt with but bottles not (yet).

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Yes, I am seeing this.
Tirreno-Adriatico - stage 1:
A motorbike overtaking the riders through the first KoM sprint?!

Top Bottom