Motorists of Edinburgh and West Lothian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

top-tube

Über Member
Be aware, that if you get too close to me, I will continue to slap the roof of your vehicle. :blush: To the lady at Deans roundabout - no need to cut me up - you can overtake me later on - I cannot compete with your Renault Clio.

To the gray hackney cab driver at Roseburn - you shouldn't look so shocked that a cyclist will look to protect himself by slapping your vehicle providing an audible warning that you are too close - no need to look so shocked.

Hope you both learned a lesson. I did - will start slapping your vehicle with my pump next time. Must get one of those helmet camera thingies. Feel better now.

mercurykev

Rather than slapping the roof, just open the rear passenger door :blush:

StuartG

slower but further
I used to that. Made me feel much better.

Trouble is it made the drivers even madder. Did it make them feel guilty or think that the cyclist is no better than a thug and treated appropriately? You don't have to go far to find the answer.

Perhaps things are different in Edinburgh?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
top-tube said:
Be aware, that if you get too close to me, I will continue to slap the roof of your vehicle. :biggrin: To the lady at Deans roundabout - no need to cut me up - you can overtake me later on - I cannot compete with your Renault Clio.

To the gray hackney cab driver at Roseburn - you shouldn't look so shocked that a cyclist will look to protect himself by slapping your vehicle providing an audible warning that you are too close - no need to look so shocked.

Hope you both learned a lesson. I did - will start slapping your vehicle with my pump next time. Must get one of those helmet camera thingies. Feel better now.

Another Leith cyclist!! Nice one :tongue:

Although a slap on the car might sometimes cause the real idiots to react very badly indeed, it's always a good indication to someone about how close they are if you can do that. After all, they wouldn't pass another car so closely that the driver could slap their car by leaning an arm out of the window, would they?

normskirus

Veteran
top-tube said:
Be aware, that if you get too close to me, I will continue to slap the roof of your vehicle. :tongue: To the lady at Deans roundabout - no need to cut me up - you can overtake me later on - I cannot compete with your Renault Clio.

Roseburn is part of my commute too and I find that cars tend to do silly things. I guess its due to the potholes, parked cars, pinch points and sharp turns. This month I got shouted at for holding up some guy in his 306 - as he tried to over take on a sharp corner just past the railway bridge. I tend to move out to stop people overtaking on that corner. They overtake and then realise there is a car coming the other way and pull in, trying to squash me in the process.

Last friday some lassie in a Punto then forgets to look in her wing mirror when deciding to change lanes at cameron toll RB. I didnt shout anything rude but her kids looked at me waving and hollering and she got the message.

These are the first incidents ive had in months, so I cant complain.

Normskirus

Top Bottom