Motorsports Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I much prefer my motorsport live. Just spent the weekend at Silverstone and had a bloody good (if wet & windy) time.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I much prefer my motorsport live. Just spent the weekend at Silverstone and had a bloody good (if wet & windy) time.

I do too, but haven't in a fair while due to various issues or other. :sad:

Was watching on ITV4 - as always. What a cracking meeting, though it might be a while before you dry out. That rain looked biblical at times...

BTCC title race still too close to call - can barely get a cigarette paper between the top three.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I do too, but haven't in a fair while due to various issues or other. :sad:

Was watching on ITV4 - as always. What a cracking meeting, though it might be a while before you dry out. That rain looked biblical at times...

BTCC title race still too close to call - can barely get a cigarette paper between the top three.
Good waterproofs and knowing where to stand to get shelter from the wind & rain through years of experience. Luffield out terrace this afternoon with protection from the grandastand behind. The atmosphere this afternoon when
underdog Jack Goff
was heading for the win in race 3 made up for the cold.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I've always ended up getting drenched at Silverstone no matter how much I tried to avoid it... :surrender:

At one point, I thought
Dan Cammish
was going to nick race 3. For a long time, there was very little difference between the cars on slicks and the cars on wets, and then it all changed right at the end.

D

Deleted member 26715

mmmm I like the idea of a Motorsport sub-section, but I fear we need sub-section under the sub-sections, like yesterday there was F1, BTCC, WSB all racing plus I'm sure multiple other events, would get confusing if we talk about them all at the same time, like if I add a comment "Poor Charles just can't catch a break with the fastest car", also is it a good idea that MaClaren are going back to Mercedes, they will have 4 teams, Ferrari 2, Honda 2 & poor old Renault only 1 unless Williams jump the opposite way.

icowden

Veteran
mmmm I like the idea of a Motorsport sub-section, but I fear we need sub-section under the sub-sections, like yesterday there was F1, BTCC, WSB all racing plus I'm sure multiple other events, would get confusing if we talk about them all at the same time, like if I add a comment "Poor Charles just can't catch a break with the fastest car", also is it a good idea that MaClaren are going back to Mercedes, they will have 4 teams, Ferrari 2, Honda 2 & poor old Renault only 1 unless Williams jump the opposite way.

The way Williams are going, there won't be a Williams!

D

Deleted member 26715

Yep there's a good chance of that, Claire just doesn't seem to gel the team like her father did, I think it was a bad decision to sign Kubica this year, but he did bring his money with them which is what they desperately needed. It will be a shame if they do fold or sell, they are one of the iconic teams for me.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yep there's a good chance of that, Claire just doesn't seem to gel the team like her father did, I think it was a bad decision to sign Kubica this year, but he did bring his money with them which is what they desperately needed. It will be a shame if they do fold or sell, they are one of the iconic teams for me.

I remember when Williams were a top team, I find it sad seeing them propping up the grid.

https://www.racefans.net/f1-information/f1-teams/williams/

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru

Unless things change drastically, I fear you might be right. But to quote from an excellent book by Brock Yates "it ain't cubic inches that win races, it's cubic money."

Any wonder the bigger teams (read the ones doing all the winning) are fighting tooth and nail against the proposed budget cap? :whistle:

Sadly though, gone are the days where a good "garagiste" team could compete against teams financed by manufacturer or government money.

icowden

Veteran
Agreed although I think Liberty need to get rid of Ferrari's "longstanding team" $100 million bonus payment. Maybe things are due to change though. I do wonder how long manufacturers will stay interested in making combustion engines given the drive to move to electric. Surely there has to come a point where ICE engines become a hobby rather than part of the manufacturers development cycle?

That said, I'm not a fan of the Super-Mario-Kart approach that Formula E has taken with it's magic hotspots and viewer boosts.

D

Deleted member 26715

That said, I'm not a fan of the Super-Mario-Kart approach that Formula E has taken with it's magic hotspots and viewer boosts.
I'm not either, I've tried on multiple times to watch it, but I can't I just can't get excited about it, I find the fact they are all the same car confusing, but I think the biggest issue are the circuits, they are too narrow & having the 180 hairpin so they always crash into each other is just wrong.

Edit:- But it has to be the future & F1 is on it's last decade

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not either, I've tried on multiple times to watch it, but I can't I just can't get excited about it, I find the fact they are all the same car confusing, but I think the biggest issue are the circuits, they are too narrow & having the 180 hairpin so they always crash into each other is just wrong.

Edit:- But it has to be the future & F1 is on it's last decade

I've tried to watch as well, I just find it confusing.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Agreed although I think Liberty need to get rid of Ferrari's "longstanding team" $100 million bonus payment.

The issue here, is that Ferrari have a massive global fanbase, and F1 simply can't risk Ferrari throwing their toys out of the pram and walking away from the sport. Hence they like to keep them sweet. It's one of those irritating little truths that raises its ugly head on a regular basis.

Downside to this is that Ferrari have undue influence in how the sport is run compared to the other teams.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru

I really like watching Formula E... Mind, there is this... :whistle:

On a more serious note, I think it works well, although some of the circuits could be wider. Downside of racing on city streets. People said the same of the BTCC when they introduced success ballast and reverse grid races.

Formula E is a great way of getting a new and different fanbase interested in motorsports.

Although Sam never seems to get any fan boosts :gun:

Top Bottom