Motorway Road Rage - Brits are idiots when they arrive at roadworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
.... :-) how do you feel about the people who drive up the right turn lane approaching roundabouts and drive all the way around them to go straight on because they can avoid the queue for the straight-on route which seriously delays everyone else.

I've done that to turn left at a roundabout.
Seems a sensible use of available roadway.

GC

If its a single lane open and there is a long tail queue formed earlier, the traffic will go thru faster, no different to a funnel. The merging would have taken place much earlier. This is basic science. Surely most of society have worked that out thus the long single queue formed earlier. When the advanced traffic signs says 2 lanes are opened, you can see motorists forming 2 long queues.

I thought the access for emergency vehicles was important as well.

You seemed to have failed science as water molecules in a funnel merge at the neck of the funnel rather the lining up to flow through the neck.

Merging in turn at the pinch point is 'quicker' for all drivers using the road than forming a useless long line of sheep.

MergeinTurn.gif

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Turning off at the roundabout is OK.... using the empty lanes to advance past a queue and then going straight on is selfish as it holds everyone up that has waited. When enough selfish people attempt to use the right turn lane to go right around and go straight-on, you then create a queue of cars holding up people wishing to legitimately turn right. The whole thing can become log-jammed as a result.

The A692 right turn lane on the roundabout junction to Ouston on the Stanley road from Chester-le-Street had to be altered to prevent queue jumpers from delaying people driving to Stanley for this very reason.

Merging in turn at the pinch point is 'quicker' for all drivers using the road than forming a useless long line of sheep.

MergeinTurn.gif

Quite. Zip-merging is the most efficient form of moving the vehicles thru. It works all over the world except in the UK because most Brits have this thing about queuing.
Yet another reason to have licence holders re-take their test every 3 years.

You seemed to have failed science as water molecules in a funnel merge at the neck of the funnel rather the lining up to flow through the neck.

MergeinTurn.gif

No, its slower. The dependency for the flow is a factor of both lanes of drivers to coordinate the merger to enter the single lane.

The flow rate increases substantially when the merger takes place well before the bottleneck. By the time they reach the bottleneck, its a single lane flowing thru without interruption.

Using your diagram, replace the 2 lanes with only a single lane of 30 cars already lined up, watch the cars whizz by. Its the reason why people are keen to line up early rather then go onto a near empty lane.

Last edited:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Merging early only works when traffic volume is sufficiently light. As traffic volumes increase, two lines (I'm deliberately not using the Q-word) and merging in turn becomes more efficient. Of course, the point at which this happens depends upon the aggressiveness of the drivers in the emptier line, and the bloody-mindedness of those in the fuller lane. Does it really matter if some twerp in a wixxertank goes in front of you? Really?

AND while I'm on a rant.... :-) how do you feel about the people who drive up the right turn lane approaching roundabouts and drive all the way around them to go straight on because they can avoid the queue for the straight-on route which seriously delays everyone else.
You mean you're not supposed to do that?

Still better than in Paris. My boss drove up the right hand turn lane and then just turned left. If he's still got the car, my fingerprints will still be in the seat.

Archie_tect

[QUOTE 3658546, member: 45"]You're not talking about where's the best place for the merging to take place in terms of the optimum speed of the activity, because in that case location is irrelevant. What you're talking about, and it's emerging all over this discussion, is the problem caused by drivers not making this work together.[/QUOTE]
Where people won't work together mutually because some people choose to be arrogant and others choose to be intolerant they need to be told what to do- then they tend to just get on with it.

snorri

Legendary Member
I rather favour more motorway holdups and delays, it would encourage people to seek alternatives like walking, cycling, buses and trains, or indeed choosing not to travel at all.
If enough people clamoured to get on to the trains the government would get HS2 completed pronto and we could all travel in comfort without the inconvenience of having to get someone to hold a stupid wheel in their hands for the duration of the journey.

Maybe you can tell I've just returned home from a meeting of an Active Travel Advisory Group:biggrin:

Archie_tect

Now if a MagLev HS2 went underground from Paris to Edinburgh via major cities along the route then that would be something... no bridges to build or hills to circumnavigate, no countryside to despoil, no arguments from landowners or pressure groups and if they discovered vast untapped coal reserves along the way through Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland then that would probably pay for it... a plan without fault- providing they find a way of extracting the energy from coal without releasing carcinogens, Co2 or NO2...

[QUOTE 3657961, member: 45"]Yes, I've read a number of links. The jury is out across the board on the definitive answer, but generally the best result is achieved by merging towards the front, not as stupidly early as the British do. Merging at the front and traffic having to stop causes delays, but this isn't what's being suggested, despite what Cunobelin would like to think.[/QUOTE]

Methinks that it was you who advocated merging at the front.......

I agree fully with your post......Merging at the front and traffic having to stop does indeed cause delays

That is why early merging works, it frees the outer lane for traffic travelling through

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I rather favour more motorway holdups and delays, it would encourage people to seek alternatives like walking, cycling, buses and trains, or indeed choosing not to travel at all.
If enough people clamoured to get on to the trains the government would get HS2 completed pronto and we could all travel in comfort without the inconvenience of having to get someone to hold a stupid wheel in their hands for the duration of the journey.

Maybe you can tell I've just returned home from a meeting of an Active Travel Advisory Group:biggrin:

But to travel on the HS2 with high demand, a ticket will cost your first born son being indentured into Railtrack upon his 18th birthday. Daughters will serve as comfort maidens to shareholders and you still won't be guaranteed a seat. In First Class meanwhile...

Top Bottom