Mount for HTC Desire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Just to update, and to help others with a similar dilemma, I took a punt and ordered this mount:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTIMATEADD...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304854372&sr=1-3

I figured that I would give it a good wiggle around before deciding whether to send it back or not. I have to say that I think it's pretty bulletproof. The mount screws on, so whilst not quick to take on and off, I think it makes it extra secure.

The phone holder clips on snugly and you can still use the touchscreen through the it. And because of the nature of it I imagine that the phone would be relatively OK if it was to fall off.... as long as a car didn't drive over it behind you of course....

Some of the reviews mention it being difficult to use the power button but I haven't found that to be a problem at all. The trick is to place the phone in the holder so that the cover opens from left to right. It's more flexible there and works with just a gentle prod - gentle enough that you can easily do it whilst cycling along.

The mount also has a swivel ball in it, so you can twist the phone as required, and then tighten it to hold it in place.

Overall very impressed.

Here's some pics:

http://yfrog.com/h2u89iytj

http://yfrog.com/h3u8kwrj

If anyone wants a picture of the mount just let me know.

Buybits

We have many bike mounts for sale to suit the Desire and Desire HD if any of you guys are still looking. We also have a trade counter in Aylesbury if you want to pop in. :thumbsup:

Saundie

Über Member
Have you tried Holders and Mounts' Herbert Richter bike mounts? I have "full swivel" bike mount for my iPhone 4.
I had the Herbert Richter Universal Swivel Bike Mount With Phone Secure for mounting my Motorola Defy to my handlebar. It got about 5 rides out of it until the holder fell off the mount and went under my back wheel. This crushed the holder, rendering it utterly useless. Perhaps I was just unlucky and got one with weak clips that failed to secure the holder to the mount, but I am not prepared to buy another to find out.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I hate to be rude cloggsy, but:

a) that's exactly the same mount I've purchased and reviewed (see three posts up)
b) that's more expensive on eBay than what I paid (see link to product)

Chutzpah

Über Member
I had the Herbert Richter Universal Swivel Bike Mount With Phone Secure for mounting my Motorola Defy to my handlebar. It got about 5 rides out of it until the holder fell off the mount and went under my back wheel. This crushed the holder, rendering it utterly useless. Perhaps I was just unlucky and got one with weak clips that failed to secure the holder to the mount, but I am not prepared to buy another to find out.

I've had car holders like that and my phone has popped out whilst bouncing down the road. That's with a car suspension. No way would I trust a design like that on my bike.... I'm guessing they've seen a way to make a cheap buck and used a "standard" car holder and connected it to a bike mount.

Londoner

Regular

To be honest, I have had no problems with mine and little use that I get out of it, it's been perfect for me. I have an iPhone specific and not the universal one. Now saying that, I will email them and see if there is a way to further secure my iPhone for my peace of mind.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Sorry mate... It'll teach me to read the whole thread before commenting :rolleyes::whistle:

We've all done it!

Frontieruk

Just to update, and to help others with a similar dilemma, I took a punt and ordered this mount:

http://www.amazon.co...04854372&sr=1-3

I figured that I would give it a good wiggle around before deciding whether to send it back or not. I have to say that I think it's pretty bulletproof. The mount screws on, so whilst not quick to take on and off, I think it makes it extra secure.

The phone holder clips on snugly and you can still use the touchscreen through the it. And because of the nature of it I imagine that the phone would be relatively OK if it was to fall off.... as long as a car didn't drive over it behind you of course....

Some of the reviews mention it being difficult to use the power button but I haven't found that to be a problem at all. The trick is to place the phone in the holder so that the cover opens from left to right. It's more flexible there and works with just a gentle prod - gentle enough that you can easily do it whilst cycling along.

The mount also has a swivel ball in it, so you can twist the phone as required, and then tighten it to hold it in place.

Overall very impressed.

Here's some pics:

http://yfrog.com/h2u89iytj

http://yfrog.com/h3u8kwrj

If anyone wants a picture of the mount just let me know.

Hope you don't mind me bumping the thread but how have you found this mount? I'm looking for something to mount my Desire and wondered if you'd share some opinions now you've probably used it.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I've been using a Karrimor Armband (those for running). Just had to shorten the velcro band bit and that was it! Around my stem and ready to go.

It costs only £3.99. Anyone with experience on using a sawing machine is able to do that in less then 10 min.

med_gallery_13349_233_14512.jpg

med_gallery_13349_233_52477.jpg

Chutzpah

Über Member
Hope you don't mind me bumping the thread but how have you found this mount? I'm looking for something to mount my Desire and wondered if you'd share some opinions now you've probably used it.

Hi Frontieruk,

I'm really happy with it, holds the phone with no problems. I'd say the holder is more shower proof than deluge proof though, some water does leak in when the rain is really substantial (though both times it was a REAL downpour).

Top Bottom