Mountain bike, 26"/650b, £1000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can have a stiff back end. My FF29 is very stiff and when coming from my cro-mo Marin I noticed it immediately. It has advantages and disadvantages but can be mitigated by position on the bike, you soon adjust, tyre choice and pressure. The main thing I noticed was not my teeth rattling, after all, it's a hardtail but the back end skipping and chattering more. Changing to a grippier tyre, lower pressure and learning to keep my weight back compared to my Marin solved it. I wouldn't spend any time dwelling on that aspect of the review.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a massive choice.

Don't forget to consider Boardman. Blooming fabulous value. The HT is a 29er and the FS a 27.5.

I am massively impressed with my FS Pro for a grand.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
You get an awful lot of bike for your money with the Bird's and can build to the spec you want. Fossy beat me to it but I wouldn't question a harsh rear end on something without suspension. Other than flexy stays I don't see how it can be anything other than harsh

Hmm... It is possible if the frame is well designed. My Orange is quite compliant but my wife's Hardrock Sport (c. 1990) could definitely be described as being at the harsh end of the spectrum! It is a very small frame, though, which must have a bearing.

Top Bottom