Mountain Bike for 12 year old - Ridgeback / Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Djmatt111

Hi,
We are looking to get a new bike for our 12 year old. He is very slight and about 145cm tall. We were thinking of either a Ridgeback Terrain 4 in the 13” frame or a Giant ATX 2 - 26 in XXS size. Problem is we are not sure if either of those is a good prospect. A lot of his friends are riding Carrera but they seem very heavy..we looked at Frog but can not afford. Trek Marlin seem out of stock everywhere. In fact most stuff seems out of stock! He is mostly pavement and grass biking. But we do go out across fields and gravel track/paths as well. Any advice or suggestions greatfully received!

Gazjacko

Both will do the job. Have you checked availability? I know Decathlon make very good value bikes but a friend tried to get one for his son and they had no stock available. ( he was told in another shop nothing until 2021!).
Look to go to a bike shop, a decent one will happily change stem length, possibly cranks and brake levers to suit smaller hands or legs.
From experience, remember that at 12yrs he is going to grow! For me, you have possible two routes, small cheap bike he will outgrow (possibly very quickly), or larger frame, short stem and slammed post but worth keeping and to a point he’ll grow into it.
What you need is a cycling mad parent a couple of years ahead of you selling off their son’s Xs/S framed bike.

OP
OP
D

Djmatt111

Hi, thank you for your replies! He has a ridgeback MX24 already and it’s too small. I was hoping a 26” wheel on the smallest frame would work for him. I have been looking second hand but I have no idea really what I am doing. I spoke to our local bike independent bike shop apologised but they have nothing in at all until September in his size. They suggested a Giant or a Merida / Saracen rather than a ridgeback for his age. I asked about Trek Marlin (one of his friends has) and Carrera (everyone else his age seems to have) and they didn’t rate the Carrera and didn’t feel they should comment on the Trek as they don’t sell it. At least I know my 2 possibles above are not terrible choices!!!

Both will do the job. Have you checked availability? I know Decathlon make very good value bikes but a friend tried to get one for his son and they had no stock available. ( he was told in another shop nothing until 2021!).
Look to go to a bike shop, a decent one will happily change stem length, possibly cranks and brake levers to suit smaller hands or legs.
From experience, remember that at 12yrs he is going to grow! For me, you have possible two routes, small cheap bike he will outgrow (possibly very quickly), or larger frame, short stem and slammed post but worth keeping and to a point he’ll grow into it.
What you need is a cycling mad parent a couple of years ahead of you selling off their son’s Xs/S framed bike.

The Decathlon 24 inch wheel Rockriders are a bit on the small side. It might fit the OP's lad now, but given he's still growing, he'll likely find it too small rather quickly. I'm 4ft 11, so was considering one for myself last year. The blurb says I'm at the upper end of the height range, but I felt rather cramped on the bike.

Am watching this thread with interest as I'm after a 13 inch hardtail frame and forks.

cambsno

Got my son (12) the 520 from decathlon in cambridge at the weekend. Good bike, SRAM gears and although he is 155cm, the Large size fitted him just and he will grow into it.

Top Bottom