Mountain Bike for 13 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Hi

I’m looking to buy a mountain bike for my 12 year old daughter but I’m not sure about the size.

She is 5ft 2 and manufacturers are stating 26inch small frame but as she’s still growing do I go for a medium frame and let her grow into it

thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your LBS with her to try for size.
I wouldn’t buy a bike that’s too big. Get an Isla or Frog which hold their value super well and sell on when really too small. Replace with correct size then

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd buy her one of the Carrera MTBs from Halfords in a small. That will fit her and allow growing room, plus if she gets fed up with cycling you can just sell it on and not lose a lot. Or try to get a secondhand one. A medium will be too big for her. I'd look on Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the female specific models too, the different sizes might cover a different height range to the 'unisex' ones

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi

I’m looking to buy a mountain bike for my 12 year old daughter but I’m not sure about the size.

She is 5ft 2 and manufacturers are stating 26inch small frame but as she’s still growing do I go for a medium frame and let her grow into it

thanks

I'm 5'1 and a bit and I got a Trek Marlin in XS. It's perfect. You could do a Small frame on the Treks for her to grow into it. My son has a Medium in the same bike and there's no way I could ride it.

Top Bottom