Mountain Bike Pedals Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

wyno70

Panter - Yeah I like it, I ride mostly on trails and muddy paths in Epping Forest and it gets the job done well.

The only complaint I would have is that it doesn't seem to like changing direction particularly quickly (this is also a criticism in a few reviews I've subsequently read), however for the riding I do, this isn't particularly a problem. I guess if you were doing more technical stuff it might be but it suits me nicely.

bonj2

Cubist said:
Just got myself a pair of Eggbeater C from Evans. Completely new to clipless I got onto a flat piece of road to learn to fly them. The first one was easy to engage, and after a wobbly few yards found the left one easily enough. I expected to be unnerved and struggling to disengage, but no problems there at all. I also expected to feel kind of restrained but the float on the pedal meant that it was reassuringly easy to move my foot around a bit.

The pedals have a cleat system where you can swap them over to change the disengage angle. At the moment they disengage outwards at 15 degrees, or inwards at 20. You can reverse that simply by swapping the cleats over on your shoes.

I love the simplicity of the design, the fact that they are strippable and easy to regrease, and they look great. I initially intended to use them only when the bike is in "commuter" mode with a pair of slicks, but have got a week off work and will try them out over some of the trickier stuff this week. Where are my tyre levers?
how easy are they to clip into on a non-smooth surface... not very if your experience is similar to mine

Cubist

Still wavin'
Was going to try them off road tomorrow, that is if Dalby is open again. Will let you know! (and I'll take my V8's and a spanner in case!)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
wyno70 said:
Panter - Yeah I like it, I ride mostly on trails and muddy paths in Epping Forest and it gets the job done well.

The only complaint I would have is that it doesn't seem to like changing direction particularly quickly (this is also a criticism in a few reviews I've subsequently read), however for the riding I do, this isn't particularly a problem. I guess if you were doing more technical stuff it might be but it suits me nicely.

Glad you like it :rofl:

I have the '08 6700, it's a good bike but it gives a very harsh ride on snything rocky.
There don't seem to be too many about!

U

User482

I have a set of Shimano DX SPDs I bought in 1993, still working fine. They're one of those products that you never notice as nothing ever goes wrong. They get a squirt of grease in the bearing every two years and that's it.

I also have a set of newish XTR SPDs which work similarly, but have much better mud clearance.

Eggbeaters are lighter and better in the mud, but do seem to be much more prone to reliability problems.

02GF74

Über Member
shimano are fine. I made mistake of going with ritchey. that is fine but my pedal of choice is no longer made so I hunt round on ebay, and they do come up. must ahve about 5 or 6 spare sets now.

cleats are supposed to be compatible with shimano but when I bought bike with shimano pedals, I found it extremely hard to unclip.

they do the V3 model that I am pretty sure I had trouble unclipping too.

Top Bottom