Mountain bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello,after many years of road cycling I intend to add a mountain bike to my collection.
I ask for recommendations, the first M.B. I purchase will be
about £350.
If I progress off roading I shall buy a better spec. bike.

Grateful for any replies and or advice.

Thank you.

Hi Doug,
If you're looking to pick it up new and in France you can't go far wrong with a B'Twin Rockrider from Decathlon. As with their Triban road bikes, you get a heck of a good bike for the money and there must be a store near you to go try one - they're everywhere! The 520 (full suspension) and the 540 (hardtail) are around the mark.

Same advice applies in the UK too, of course or you could pick up a heavily discounted 2017 model like the Kona Fire Mountain for around £370 from Winstanley's online or in Wigan. :smile:

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
Many thanks' for the replies.
Another question...the one time American maker Schwinn sell a M.B. namely "Rocket 5" it has front suspension and new to me disc brakes.
It is sold by Wiggle at about the same price as a similar spec Decathlon cycle,£250.
The advantage (possibly) for me is that they make it with an x.l. frame (I am 192 c.m. or 6ft. 4. ins tall )
Has any one knowledge or experience of Schwinn cycles ?

Thank you.

Jody

Stubborn git
I would up your budget by about 100 quid if possible and have a look around second hand. You can find loads of deals for 12/18 month hardtails that have a decent spec. You will appreciate a quality MTB more as they are smoother/lighter/sturdier than low end machines.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most people's idea of off road riding is nothing more serious than doing a few rough bumpy gravel tracks and having a play in the woods. A basic rigid frame machine from the 1990's is perfectly adequate for this sort of use. You don't need so-called high spec machines just for a bit of fun. I picked up an immaculate 1994 vintage 26" wheel Raleigh for £20 recently - in fact it's way too tidy for bashing around and will end up being kept for "best" while a FOC one pulled out of a rubbish skip will get used as a hack in it's place. There's absolutely no need to spend real money to get a useable bike.

For 15 years I ran a Scott YZ1 (hence the user name). It was a hardtail with Alivio spec gearing and no-name forks (that never provided any suspension facility from day one) - but it was comfy (with a Specialized BG saddle added) and did the job nicely. I did roughly 3000 miles a year on it, upgraded the drivetrain when it wore out, and retired it two years ago.
It was an ace bike and a lifesaver, costing £350 from Fosters in Rotherham.

Alan O

Über Member
Most people's idea of off road riding is nothing more serious than doing a few rough bumpy gravel tracks and having a play in the woods. A basic rigid frame machine from the 1990's is perfectly adequate for this sort of use. You don't need so-called high spec machines just for a bit of fun. I picked up an immaculate 1994 vintage 26" wheel Raleigh for £20 recently - in fact it's way too tidy for bashing around and will end up being kept for "best" while a FOC one pulled out of a rubbish skip will get used as a hack in it's place. There's absolutely no need to spend real money to get a useable bike.
Yes, there are some great bargains to be had with older MTBs, probably because there's been so much development (and changes in fashion) in recent years that there are more people selling off older models than people wanting to buy.

I got a 2006 model GT Avalanche 1.0 a year or so ago for £110, in great condition and with new brake pads (hydraulic brakes). It has basic front suspension, which is more than adequate for my use - "bumpy gravel tracks and having a play in the woods" pretty much sums it up for me.

I also have a rigid Grisley MTB that I got for a mere £30. Its gears wouldn't change, but that was just due to gunked-up shifters which only needed cleaning out and relubing.

When you're going for an MTB at entry-level pricing, you can get a lot of bike for your money by going for a used one. My only real caution is that I'd only buy one I could inspect first, and I'd have to be confident I could fix any problems.

Top Bottom