Mountain Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ctonry

I have a budget of about £400 and want a mountain bike. I will only be using it for road, parks, grass areas etc... I dont need anything amazing BUT I dont want something that will break in a year. Im 5ft 10 and I prefer a comfier ride to a harsh one due to athritis in my back. Just to add, I dont really want a road bike with thin tyres

Ive been looking at these two, not sure if to get one of these or something else.

Rockrider ST 520S Full Suspension
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st-520s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-275-id_8378294.html

Rockrider ST 540 Hardtail
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st-540-mountain-bike-grey-red-275-id_8500757.html

All other suggestions greatly appreciated! I dont have much knowledge on bikes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a budget of about £400 and want a mountain bike. I will only be using it for road, parks, grass areas etc... I dont need anything amazing BUT I dont want something that will break in a year. Im 5ft 10 and I prefer a comfier ride to a harsh one due to athritis in my back. Just to add, I dont really want a road bike with thin tyres

Ive been looking at these two, not sure if to get one of these or something else.

Rockrider ST 520S Full Suspension
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st-520s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-275-id_8378294.html

Rockrider ST 540 Hardtail
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st-540-mountain-bike-grey-red-275-id_8500757.html

All other suggestions greatly appreciated! I dont have much knowledge on bikes
The hardtail would be a better bike than anything 'full suspension' unless you're adding a nought to the end of your budget.

OP
OP
C

ctonry

Ok, thats what I thought. On their site they list S M L XL as a buying size. Ive had a look and I think L is the right sort of size for me.

AndyRM

XOXO
The hardtail would be a better bike than anything 'full suspension' unless you're adding a nought to the end of your budget.

This by the barrel load.

Size wise, I dunno how B'Twin bikes measure up, but large might be a bit big? Hard to judge without swinging your leg over one, which is particularly difficult right now!

OP
OP
C

ctonry

These are the measurements they put on their site. I dont really understand them but apparently size L would suit me bwing 5ft 10.

I think going for the 540 will be best then. I imagine cheap full suspension can be quite bouncy

20200421_192409.jpg

20200421_192423.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
For your described intended use, a 2"+ wide tyre run around 40psi would probably be sufficient to give you enough comfort and control without a suspension fork.

Unless you're riding a bit more aggressively off road a suspension fork is overkill IMHO and adds weight and expense.

If you're not set on a brand new bike I'd strongly consider a second hand rigid 90s mtb. They sell pretty cheaply, and you could kit it out with new tyres, cables, brake blocks etc easily within your budget (well under if you don't need the help of a bike shop to get it into tip top working order).

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok, thats what I thought. On their site they list S M L XL as a buying size. Ive had a look and I think L is the right sort of size for me.
According to the site, a large would work for 5’10 or 177cm ish

Attachments

• AD081998-A993-4C6F-AA3C-006304B79A22.png
    AD081998-A993-4C6F-AA3C-006304B79A22.png
    58 KB · Views: 3

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you're already decided on a proper MTB and want to buy new, the decathlon hardtail looks pretty good to me. I'm about your height and I'd go for a large frame. Medium might feel a bit more nimble/responsive if you prefer that sort of thing. Fiddling around with seat height and handlebar height either could be made to fit just fine.

OP
OP
C

ctonry

I would prefer new, especially with a warranty. I have looked at second hand but theres so many and as I dont know what im looking at I dont if theyre any good.

OP
OP
C

ctonry

Top Bottom