Mountain Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I love the contradictory sales pitch

"Ideal for cross-country and trail riding, the updated Rockrider ST540 mountain bike............"

at the bottom of the ad

"Restricted use :Not suitable for XC, All Mountain, Enduro and BMX. "

:laugh::laugh:
Standard really on the lower end stuff, but all perfectly capable of handling your basic forest trails just not really for more hardcore stuff.

Jody

Stubborn git
Standard really on the lower end stuff, but all perfectly capable of handling your basic forest trails just not really for more hardcore stuff.

But saying it's suitable for XC and not suitable for XC :laugh:

I know it's only a disclaimer. Just thought it was funny

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Looking at it, I have seen some good reviews for the Calibre Two Cubed Hardtail. Think im going to go for that option over the Rockrider 540.
Yeah as @Jody pointed out they do have a good reputation right through the range, the “Bossnut” is a highly regarded full suss bike,
The older “ Two two” I think it was called was best in class in a lot of reviews..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looking at it, I have seen some good reviews for the Calibre Two Cubed Hardtail. Think im going to go for that option over the Rockrider 540.

Good plan - assuming you can get one in today's climate.

The weather is pretty decent out there so you can take full advantage of your exercise hour.

As you might have gathered, most of us could come up with a decent bike for your budget, but there's nothing significantly better than the Calibre.

vickster

Legendary Member
I seem to remember someone saying that home delivered bikes from Go Outdoors need a fair bit of putting together out of the box, so if new to bikes, you might want to pay your local bike shop to assemble/check over (probably around £30-40)

Jody

Stubborn git
I seem to remember someone saying that home delivered bikes from Go Outdoors need a fair bit of putting together out of the box, so if new to bikes, you might want to pay your local bike shop to assemble/check over (probably around £30-40)

That's a fair point if you are going mail order.

There is a Go Outdoors in Coventry but looks like the chain is currently closed. They are popular bikes though so make sure they have your size in stock before going to try one.

OP
OP
C

ctonry

Thanks for the heads up but its fine with me. Back when I was a teen I used to do all my own repairs and now I repair bikes. Hopefully its just straight forward ^_^

I have ordered a Calibre from go outdoors now. Thank you all!

Jody

Stubborn git
I have ordered a Calibre from go outdoors now. Thank you all!

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you do feel the hardtail is a bit solid on the backend for your back, I have, I have fitted a suspension seat post, they claim 50mm of travel but I'm not sure that's correct, but it does take out the harshness of the ride over the really big bumps.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have fitted a suspension seat post, they claim 50mm of travel but I'm not sure that's correct, but it does take out the harshness of the ride over the really big bumps.

The saddle is a good place to add suspension, as it carries very little weight penalty or maintenance liability.
I suspect @raleighnut was not entirely joking when he suggested a sprung Brooks! My Raleigh rod braked 3-speed roadster has a sprung Brooks, and I have actually been using it for riding mild off-tarmac routes recently when the fancy takes me. Before anyone starts laughing at such eccentric behaviour, remember those sort of bikes were the mainstay of rural cycling a hundred years ago where there were still a lot of unmetalled roads, and are still used in the developing world today. They were designed for rough surfaces. It's not unusual for me to go out in the morning on non-work days and do 20-25 miles on a hybrid, tourer or MTB, then get the old roadster out later in the evening before sunset and go and do another 10-15 miles with the benefit of the sprung saddle.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The saddle is a good place to add suspension, as it carries very little weight penalty or maintenance liability.
I suspect @raleighnut was not entirely joking when he suggested a sprung Brooks! My Raleigh rod braked 3-speed roadster has a sprung Brooks, and I have actually been using it for riding mild off-tarmac routes recently when the fancy takes me. Before anyone starts laughing at such eccentric behaviour, remember those sort of bikes were the mainstay of rural cycling a hundred years ago where there were still a lot of unmetalled roads, and are still used in the developing world today. They were designed for rough surfaces. It's not unusual for me to go out in the morning on non-work days and do 20-25 miles on a hybrid, tourer or MTB, then get the old roadster out later in the evening before sunset and go and do another 10-15 miles with the benefit of the sprung saddle.
No I was being serious, that is a picture of one of my bikes.

This one is a bit OTT though,

18014_1_Zoom.jpg

Although maybe @Drago would like one on a Pashley if he gets one. :becool:

Top Bottom