Mountain biking in the Olympics CONTAINS SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah! He looked amazing.

Pidcock won the 2017 World Junior Cyclo-Cross Championship, 25 years after Roger Hammond took the same title!
Hammond won it in Roundhay Park, Leeds
I was there to watch him, & even spoke with him afterwards

Coincidentally, Pidcock grew up in Roundhay, but wasn't even born, when Hammond won

Pidcock was also;
2017 Junior Road Time-Trial World Champion
2018 World Under 23 Cyclo-Cross Champion
2020 World MTB Cross-country Champion

Amongst many National titles

Quite a boy!!! :notworthy:

DRM

Guru
Just shows what road endurance, CX skills and power and technical MTB skills can do, he’s a true all rounder, and I couldn’t believe Matthieu Van Der Poel slipped up by not getting over the back of the bike on that Rocky drop off either

dodgy

and I couldn’t believe Matthieu Van Der Poel slipped up by not getting over the back of the bike on that Rocky drop off either

He claims that there was a ramp on that drop off in practice that was removed without his knowledge during the actual race.

dodgy

But surely, ramp or no ramp you stick your backside over the rear wheel or you go OTB, like he did
His point was that he knew the course well, in practice he was able to ride over that without having to shift his weight. Let's get real here, VDP is an EXTREMELY talented rider, we don't need to remind him to shift his weight as if he was a year one MAMIL.

Having said that, there is some conflict over the matter with VDP and his coach.

Watching the women today - most of them were leaping over the ramp.

Apparently it was only ever going to be there for the women's race.

Definitely some mis communication going on in the Dutch team. They've had a mare this games.

DRM

Guru
His point was that he knew the course well, in practice he was able to ride over that without having to shift his weight. Let's get real here, VDP is an EXTREMELY talented rider, we don't need to remind him to shift his weight as if he was a year one MAMIL.

Having said that, there is some conflict over the matter with VDP and his coach.
Having watched the highlights of the women's XC race, even with the ramp present, they shifted their weight back on that section, it's a basic MTB skill that even I, as Britain's worst MTB'er knows to do, it was a schoolboy error that has probably cost MvdP a medal, and an injury that Alpecin-Fenix won't be too happy about.
Interesting that Tom Pidcock was riding a BMC Fourstroke, blacked out of course, seen as Pinerello don't make an MTB, I wonder if they'll start and consider changing that now.
As an aside I thought the male Eurosport commentator, seemed clueless and out of his depth, Rochelle Gilmour on the other hand was the exact opposite, it would have been better with dear old Carlton Kirby doing it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom