Mountain Biking - The Untold British Story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
There was nothing much on the TV last night, so I did a search on Amazon Prime and up popped Mountain Biking - The Untold British Story.

It's a fascinating story of how it all began over here, particularly for those of a certain age who were there when it started . If you can, watch it, or get the DVD you won't be disappointed.

Starting with Geoff Apps and his "Range Riders" looking like big 29ers with contributions from Gary Fisher, items on Muddy Fox , the professional invasion from Peugeot etc., it certainly brought some memories back to me when I got seriously involved in mountain biking in the 80's.

No suspension or sloping top tubes in them days, we'd spend hours going over OS maps finding new routes and bridleways to ride.

I remember what must have been one of my first ventures, on a disused railway track which ran parallel to a minor road, it was rough and overgrown.

A police car pulled up and a young female officer got out, she looked at the track, then the road, then the track again and just shook her head, wondering why I wasn't on the road.

I might be wrong, but it seems to be all downhill now with bikes costing thousands, the grass roots of the pastime now long gone.

Anyway enough rambling and reminiscing, watching that makes me want to get back out in the forests, remembering how fit I was, way back then, the slicks are coming off and the knobblies are going back on.

So if you see an oldie off road in Wales on a fully rigid blue Kona, give me a push please. :bicycle:

Drago

Legendary Member
The Range Rider didn't just look like a big 29er, it was one. The following Cleland bikes were a mix of 29er and 650B, according to customer preference. Indeed, it was Apps who first sent a batch of 29er tyres to Gary Fisher and Tom Ritchey so they could build a bike and try it for themselves.

Apps is still going, still building bikes, although not for commercial sale. He puts all his blueprints on his website, so anyone wanting to make a replica can do so.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Cycle speedway was quite a thing in the North East in the 60's. There were two tracks close to me in the east end of Newcastle.

Me and a couple of my mates dabbled at it for a short time.
I'd been given a nice shiny blue single speed BSA for passing my 11+ :rolleyes:

Gradually over the next couple of weeks the brakes, mudguards, chainguard and anything else I could take off it disappeared.
Transformed it was quite a lethal thing with no brakes.

I suppose my offroad riding began in 1965!! and that's giving my age away. :blush:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

We had a rough track local to me at "The Wreck" (If there are any Geordies reading this, they might know of it)
Are you sure it was "The Wreck" not "The Rec" short for recreation field?

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Are you sure it was "The Wreck" not "The Rec" short for recreation field?

Correct, although it was a bit of a dump. I've changed the listing. If you know Newcastle the first track was at Monkchester Road aka the Rec. it then located to somewhere by the Fossway.

Brough Park, speedway track for the Newcastle Diamonds was close by. I used to go almost every Monday night to watch the likes of Ivan Mauger, sadly he died this April.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm a Tyke (Middlesbough) not a Geordie, although not lived up that way for over 50 years, but around South Yorks/North Notts Rec is a common term for an open space, often with swings

D

Deleted member 26715

Watched some of it last night, quite interesting, will try to finish it tonight/tomorrow

Top Bottom