Mountain Warehouse cycling jackets - any experiences please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Popped in yesterday and they still have some of their own brand grey / silver highly retro-reflective cycling jackets / unlined shells in at the usual signficant discount (they're currently £30, allegedly down from £70 or summot).

The fit feels pretty good - decent cut with an extended lower rear edge, elasticated cuffs and no hood.. maybe a bit tight around the shoulders but that's seemingly a standard problem for me. The fabric is apparently "isocool", which I'll be googling shortly.

I can't find much on this particular garment but was wondering if anyone has any experiences with similar from MW. My concern is that breathability won't be so hot and I want to avoid a boil-in-the-bag scenario. They seem good for the money but equally I'm aware that there's no such thing as a free lunch and I'd rather spend more on an alternative if it's going to do the job significantly better..

Cheers :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
No direct experience but they aren't a specific cycling brand so personally I'd stay clear.

If it's the same silver material that I'm thinking of then that's basically plastic so that part can't breathe. Depends what the rest of it's like.

Might be ok in winter but you can buy reflective gilets for pennies that you can wear over any bit of kit summer or winter if you ride in the dark.

vickster

Legendary Member
The silvery reflective ones are from my trying on, super stiff, hot and sweaty (including the Proviz and all other ones).

I have a highly reflective jacket from Sugoi, fantastic and heavily reduced at Sportpursuit (warm in winter with a couple of layers underneath, it's shower proof, I avoid riding in heavy rain but could put a light waterproof over the top).
You need to sign up to view and buy (let me know if need a referral code :okay:)

Attachments

• FC61A54B-3671-4F20-BCDF-3A3A7C1A7AA8.jpeg
    FC61A54B-3671-4F20-BCDF-3A3A7C1A7AA8.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
if you want waterproof, put a jacket on. If you want breathable, take a jacket off.

Unless it is a shakedry. They are excellent - as good as you can get for a waterproof.

presta

Guru
I've never bought any of their cycling kit, but my experience of Mountain Warehouse stuff is that it's a bit mediocre. I think Regatta is better for budget clobber.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - pretty universally panned then which I guess isn't unfair or unexpected since they're a budget brand.

Shame as the fit was good it looked OK and of course I could try it on, but yeah - probably asking a bit much given the price.

It did feel a bit instantly warm trying it on, although maybe that wasn't especially fair given how hot it was yesterday.

I'm not averse to spending a bit of money but it's always a pain not being able to try stuff on locally and I can't be arsed with the faff of mail order returns. Equally I know there is some decent budget stuff out there (I have some pretty cheap Craghoppers walking trousers that have served me very well) however I think the more technical it gets the more you need to spend the money to get stuff that's worth having.

I'll look into some of the alternatives suggested - Decathlon being a good shout as there's a branch local and I want to take a look at their shorts anyway :smile:

EDIT I: Looks like I've just found it on Amazon - reviews are good so maybe I'll have a deeper trawl to see how encouraging the specifics are..
EDIT II: Reviews apparently confirm that it's as breathable as a bin bag, so that's that written off :tongue:

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the mountain warehouse one. Yes it is boil in the bag, but all the full reflective ones are, it is the nature of the beast. I think mine is very worthwhile, I use it for short utility rides in the dark.

Top Bottom