Mounting SKS secu-clips on the inside of fork legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
So lve just picked up the Kenisis Ti bike, fully built up by the LBS.
Really pleased with it apart from how the front SKS mudguard mounts on the rotor side.
Looking at the photos, you can see that they have had to place a couple of washers under the Secu-clip in order to space it away from the fork leg. But in doing so, as you can see, it is now hard up against the hydraulic hose. So dammed if you do dammed if you don't.
Even with the two washers, the Secu-clip is still hard up against the inside of the fork leg. So over time, l suspect it will rub and fret against the carbon weave.
Any ideas how l can improve this or am l just being fussy?
As a point of interest, but Kinesis own brand "Fend Off" mudguards simply bolt straight on with no Secu-clip at all?
So the quick fix to make it look neater is to remove the Secu-clips and simply bolt the stays direct to the inside of the fork legs.
Unless someone can give me a better solution in the meantime?

20231115_182749.jpg

20231115_182801.jpg

Secu-clips are designed to release when something snags the mudguard onto the tyre and the stay tightens towards the hub as it gets pulled upwards, jamming the mudguard between the fork crown and tyre. This only happens when the front mudguard is bolted to the dropouts.

Mid-fork mounting means the mudguard moves away from the tyre when carried upwards. I would just mount the stays directly to the mid-fork bolts, without the Secu-clips.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Secu-clips are designed to release when something snags the mudguard onto the tyre and the stay tightens towards the hub as it gets pulled upwards, jamming the mudguard between the fork crown and tyre. This only happens when the front mudguard is bolted to the dropouts.

Mid-fork mounting means the mudguard moves away from the tyre when carried upwards. I would just mount the stays directly to the mid-fork bolts, without the Secu-clips.

Thanks @LittleWheelsandBig
After posting this l had a search around the net this is the conclusion that others have said as well. If it's correct who knows, but l don't want to leave it as it is.

The stays will be to short now, but l just happen to have a spare set of stays. I also need bend the stays as per the library picture below as l think it looks better. These are also bolted direct to the fork leg minus the Secu-clips.

The LBS haven't done it that way they have just bowed the stays and it looks a bit wrong and maybe not as study as the bent ones?

Talking of which, l'm sure that l've seen a template somewhere as to where the stays should be bent and as what angles?

Screenshot_20231115-181226_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
You can cut them with a junior hacksaw etc. Then they can stay straight.

Yes, lve always cut them in the past with a junior hacksaw. But ideally they do need to be bent so that they align better with the holes in the little mounting brackets on the plastic mudguard.

Top Bottom