Mounting water bottles on a Brompton bag mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Ride London 100 on a warm day requires 2 bottles (actually 3). I nearly always carry two bottles on longer rides so that I can have one with water and one with hydration tablet and water. But Monkii cage was overpriced rubbish that fell apart first time I used it. SKS ones were much cheaper and far more useful. I've even used on my road bike when I had a frame bag that meant I needed to significantly lower one of the bottles in order for everything to fit. I also like the fact that even with full bottles, flipping down the bars to fold still never loses the bottles (although, if you don't lock the bottles, water will go everywhere).

I probably should have said - how many people would need two bottles but no luggage? If you’re touring, you’ll likely be using the front mounting point for luggage - as in your pic.

Without wishing to be controversial, I think the Ride 100 would be an exception rather than the rule. I don't know the percentage of people that would have done it on a Brompton rather than a road or mountain bike.

If it was me, I think i’d have a Camelback for that sort of distance. I tend to do about a bottle an hour - though if it's an organised event, then being able to pick up water at regulkar stops would negate the need to carry so much.

I think one of the benefits of the Monkii Clip was that when you folded the bars down, the whole clip and bottle came off and could be reattached the right way up so it didn’t leak.

But like you said, the quality wasn’t great. Mine snapped. If you look closely at the shots I posted, you see it’s held together with cable ties.

Of course there’ll be people that do longer day rides on their Brommies and need more than one bottle. And while I can’t see it being that many people, will admit they do exist.

Though as mentioned above, I do think the OP’s version is an elegant solution.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
Without wishing to be controversial, I think the Ride 100 would be an exception rather than the rule. I don't know the percentage of people that would have done it on a Brompton rather than a road or mountain bike.
Last time, I rode half of the way with another brommie rider, until he dropped me just before Leith Hill (I thought he'd lose me of on the climb, not the descent just before it), but we passed a good few others. It's probably going to be less than 1%. Saw a quite a few on the Dunwich Dynamo as well. There's probably enough Brommie suitable sportives over the year to justify this luggage block water bottle solution. The Fred Whitton Challenge wont allow brommies or any folding or small wheeled bike though.

There are plenty of reasons for doing on a Brompton, e.g. if it's the only bike you own, like me when I entered, plus the huge satisfaction of getting to pass so many less prepared roadies on the climbs. I probably saw as many Bromptons as mountain bikes, and would suggest that a mountain bike would be wholly unsuitable for the Ride London 100 compared to a Brompton. I'd choose the Brompton any day. But there is also the aspect that it is an event to raise money for charity, so using a bike that some might consider less suitable can make it easier to raise money for your given charity, in the same way that people wear ridiculous costumes when running a marathon.
If it was me, I think i’d have a Camelback for that sort of distance. I tend to do about a bottle an hour - though if it's an organised event, then being able to pick up water at regulkar stops would negate the need to carry so much.
I just couldn't do a Camelback with the amount I was sweating, and the official water stations of Ride100 were REALLY busy and annoying to use, and as I was aiming for under 6hrs, I just couldn't afford the time to use one, so thankfully found an unofficial one just as my water ran out to get a little extra to get me to the finish line. There is also the thing of not wanted to add too much extra weight in water to the bike.
I think one of the benefits of the Monkii Clip was that when you folded the bars down, the whole clip and bottle came off and could be reattached the right way up so it didn’t leak.
As long as you remember to lock them, those camelbak bottles don't leak when upside down, and the SKS bottle cages are amazing at keeping hold of them.

Though as mentioned above, I do think the OP’s version is an elegant solution.

Same... I'm trying to imagine what it's like grabbing a bottle from it, but it looks really cool!

Also, wondering how those drop handlebars work with the fold, and maybe figuring out how to get integrated brake level shifters on there[/uwsl]

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
bottles might be more susceptible to being bounced out due to the road shocks
Not necessarily a Brommie problem - ! Several years ago, the Norwich 100 was over a route that took in some 'interesting' minor roads. Was surprised to see a lot of water bottles lying along the route, something that isn't usual. Took it to be due to the state of the 'interesting' minor roads and the popularity of stiff alu frames - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I want to thank everyone for their responses. There are some great ideas in there. I am a brevet rider and I like to travel to other parts of the States to do them with my friends. I think my Brompton is good for up to 200km but my road bike is more efficient so I use that for longer rides.

I love the way Brommie riders are so into tweaks and accessories. There's something about Brommies that says "Bling me!"

The drops don't affect the fold (they're gravel style drops so they're not very deep). The aerobars are quick release so I take them off before folding. The water bottles don't move even over the worst roads although water will squirt out occasionally. It's quite safe to remove and replace the water bottles while riding. I ended up riding with one water bottle and a water bottle cage tool bag from Epissa. But I'm really interested in the bag posted by u_i if I can figure out what it is.

u_i

Über Member
But I'm really interested in the bag posted by u_i if I can figure out what it is.

The bag is Maxpedition XBP Expandable Bottle Pouch. It is professionally designed unlike the bunch of other nominally similar pouches in the market. The front zipper allows to use bottles of different diameters. There is an elastic cord for grabbing the bottle from the top. There are drain holes in the bottom. Finally, there is the back pocket for holding small items. I attached the pouch to the stem with hose clamps. The pocket holds a USB charger + USB cables. The connecting cable to the hub dynamo is routed through a small hole in the bottom of the pocket.

Attachement.jpg

Interior.jpg
Side.jpg

Top Bottom