Mouse experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Deffo not a field mouse - I've had those in my garden, and they have a longer tail plus smaller head. Managed to capture them with a humane trap to release in the local park.

Globalti

Legendary Member
4-5 inches makes that a young rat. A house mouse would be smaller and a field mouse is tiny and cute.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[corporal Jones] Don't panic! Don't panic! [corporal Jones]
ratschese.gif

Yes, rat I think.

Here's one of our field mice (by the rabbit hutch) - yes I did throw it some cheese.
2499106310_cddeb25e2d.jpg

Actually I caught a couple in two humane traps, to remove them - then thought, it was a waste of time - and released them again...

wafflycat

Definitely a young brown rat (rattus norvegicus) and there will be at least one nest close by. Rats carry *nasty* diseases, particularly Leptospirosis (Weil's disease).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
One of my fave albums!
stranglers-rattus_norvegicus-tn.jpg

Amanda P

Legendary Member
That's a young brown rat.

I'm a wildlife biologist. I've spent many happy years trapping, marking and radio-tracking small mammals of all varieties (among other thigns). That definitely ain't a mouse!

wafflycat said:
Definitely a young brown rat (rattus norvegicus) and there will be at least one nest close by. Rats carry *nasty* diseases, particularly Leptospirosis (Weil's disease).

Sound advice. Resist Gordon Brown's advice "Rats can be cooked baked in clay to avoid waste" and make sure that you don't touch it and dispose of it preferably by burning.

Top Bottom