Move left or keep the line?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keep the line of course. Would any other vehicle that is moving slightly slower than traffic pull into the gap to allow others to overtake at 5 to 10mph faster? Would a tractor pull over? Or a learner?

+ X dozen times one zillion, Definitely keep the line.

Although that gap is way too short and the situation is not right I do however find that in rural situations folk do pull off (mainly in other countries however) into laybys/ to the side of the road to let the marginally faster by.

I do however find that in rural situations folk do pull off (mainly in other countries however) into laybys/ to the side of the road to let the marginally faster by.
Indeed! It's the general rule in France that Farmer Jules on his tractor will pull over to the side to let you past. However, in England, his counterpart Farmer Giles, all too often, 'owns' the road for all of his 10mph journey....

Admittedly, in France there's often more room at the side with a wider verge. There's also often a deep ditch though...

Hockeynut

Über Member
Indeed! It's the general rule in France that Farmer Jules on his tractor will pull over to the side to let you past. However, in England, his counterpart Farmer Giles, all too often, 'owns' the road for all of his 10mph journey....

You do know that is a competitive farmer thing right... what's your record how many vehicle train behind you? lol

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yup. Hold the line, and as others have said, take a stronger line than you currently do.

The way you have cut the footage suggests to me there is going to be a follow up video? Is there an incident about to happen at the end of that video?
There is a follow up. Not sure it's posted in this thread bit defiantly on his channel.

There is a follow up. Not sure it's posted in this thread bit defiantly on his channel.

Ah, indeed there is. Yes I think the advice still stands. Keep the line, but a better line. He left the door open. Not that that excuses the bad driving of course! :sad:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It was a largely rhetorical question

Where would we be without rhetorical questions?

Help people out, Mags! Here's the follow up:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yhBRPz07wik

Thanks Orig :smile:

What a pr@t, he couldn't wait behind 'Number 14' for 2 secs but he could stop and argue for nearly 2 minutes !

Like others have said a strongerline would hopefully have discouraged the manoeuvre but you always get pr@t though as a few opposing drivers who have nearly had a head on will testify! or that central Island WVM hit a few weeks back :smile:

Attachments

• niceman.jpg
    niceman.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom