MP3 / Digitial Audio Players..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm looking for recommendations for a decent, accessibly priced MP3 / digitial audio player please.

I've had a couple of cheapish ones in the past (Sandisk Clip Sport Go which was basic and frustrating to use and Oakcastle MP200 which seemed like a decent product-improved version of the Sandisk but died after about three months and warranty support was refused :rolleyes:).

I'm looking for something small and light, decent sound quality, removable micro-SD storage, preferably external controls (rather than touchscreen), wired headphones are fine. Ideally less than £50 but happy to push the budget up a bit if I feel it's justified.

Seems that the market is full of cheap no-name Chinese offerings (that turn over so quickly they never establish a reputation one way or the other) or hyper-expensive DAP's aimed at Audiophiles that can run to thousands of pounds...

Any pointers would be much appreciated, ta :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that everyone just used their phone for that these days? :whistle:

Mo1959

Legendary Member

I am one of these people that prefers items that just do one job I have to admit.

I splurged on this a few months back. Cracking sound quality paired with my Sony earphones.

3AB1E950-62E2-4088-895B-E96686EDF1FD.png

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Evidently you were mistaken :okay:

I am one of these people that prefers items that just do one job I have to admit.

I splurged on this a few months back. Cracking sound quality paired with my Sony earphones.

View attachment 668378

Thanks Mo! While I'd be happier buying from a known, respected brand I'm put off by Sony's refusal to include removable storage in their devices; which really cripples them IMO. I did buy one of their lower-end models (IIRC it was about £80) telling myself I'd make do with the on-board memory it had.. but having had double or quadrouple that capacity on a cheap memory card in my previous MP3 player I couldn't go back so returned it for a refund (something I very rarely do unless stuff's faulty).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

That involves taking your phone with you every time you want some tunes…

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That involves taking your phone with you every time you want some tunes…
I was working on the assumption that most people carry their phones with them everywhere they go, in which case it would be more a case of ALSO carrying the MP3 player.

Hearing stuck in the 80s
I wish! I could still hear things back then that I couldn't hear now no matter how many bits were used, or how loud the sounds were played.

I don't want to carry a lot of music about with me, but if I did, the problem might be that my phone does not take memory cards. I would be stuck with 128 GB for everything. I already have used about 25 GB of that just for digital OS maps, and lots of other stuff on top of that.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Evidently you were mistaken :okay:

Thanks Mo! While I'd be happier buying from a known, respected brand I'm put off by Sony's refusal to include removable storage in their devices; which really cripples them IMO. I did buy one of their lower-end models (IIRC it was about £80) telling myself I'd make do with the on-board memory it had.. but having had double or quadrouple that capacity on a cheap memory card in my previous MP3 player I couldn't go back so returned it for a refund (something I very rarely do unless stuff's faulty).

It takes sd cards. I’ve got one in it.

Dadam

I got one of these 2 years ago. SD card (128gb in at the moment), 24 bit sound, BT Apt-X. Really does sound good to my ears but I'm not much of an audiophile. Touchscreen interface but an external volume knob.
It was bit of a lockdown splurge purchase really as I've hardly used it since the first few months. One factor for me at the time was the days of 3.5mm jack plugs on phones were numbered. Since then I've got some decent ANC bluetooth cans and some quite surprisingly good off-brand BT earbuds though so it's less of an issue.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to research the cheaper ones, find 2 or 3 decent prospects and take advantage of Amazon's 30 day return policy. ;)
Most of the chipsets for DAC and bluetooth these days are commoditised, and you'll likely find the same chips in many high end players. The difference is going to be in build quality, materials, QC and how refined the firmware is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom