Mph to achieve a target time in a TT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
The main flaw in riding to an average speed is the tendancies for courses to be "out and back". In my 50+ years of riding TT'S, I've never had a race where the wind has been the same on both legs.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I remember one open TT with a fierce wind straight down the course. I was spinning out my fixed gear all the way to the turn and having to brake for bends. Then I painfully crawled back at 15mph. My time was terrible.

The main flaw in riding to an average speed is the tendancies for courses to be "out and back". In my 50+ years of riding TT'S, I've never had a race where the wind has been the same on both legs.

Screenshot_20240226-200610_Strava.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You can't really ride to an average mph to achieve a 5 hour 100. You will slow as the race progresses.

A rule of thumb I was told for estimating a 50 time, was to take your 25 time, double it and add 4 mins. For a 100, it would be double the 50 time, plus a factor, which I never worked out.

In my youth (1968), I rode and finished my one and only 100 TT and I had target times taped to my stem and a Smith's pocket watch on the bars. I was close to 5hrs, but hugely disappointed with my time of 5hrs and 10 seconds! I often think if I could have done each mile quicker by 1/10th of a second, I would have beaten the 5hrs and the 20mph target.

The only time I've ever ridden 100 miles it took me all day, including a few cafe stops and fish 'n chips at the seaside.

KneesUp

Guru
I wonder what the graph of speed would look like on a windless day on a flat course? I’m guessing it would be a quadratic curve, like a sad mouth, showing a rise in speed up to a peak at halfway as you warm up, and then a decline mirroring the rise as you tire?

Most ‘scientific’ calculators made in the last 40 years or so have a DMS button (Degrees / Minutes / Seconds) that has on it 0 ‘ “This will allow you calculate with time in that it will use base-60 for the fraction part of the answer (so will give you 1 30‘ not 1.5 for example)

honeybadger

Similar to a spocco TT I did a couple of years ago. Averaged 34mph to the roundabout then just 19 back to the finish. I was one of the last riders to set off and felt like Filippo Ganna as I was wizzing along. Saw a rider coming back and thought : He’s going slow, poor sod must’ve punctured. Then spotted another rider going the same speed. Then it dawned on me : oh crap, that’s going to be me in a bit…..:cry:

Fastpedaller

Similar to a spocco TT I did a couple of years ago. Averaged 34mph to the roundabout then just 19 back to the finish. I was one of the last riders to set off and felt like Filippo Ganna as I was wizzing along. Saw a rider coming back and thought : He’s going slow, poor sod must’ve punctured. Then spotted another rider going the same speed. Then it dawned on me : oh crap, that’s going to be me in a bit…..:cry:

Bill Norris (who founded SPOCO) was a friend of mine - A sad day when he passed. He was a great person with good values (much like Alan Bates).

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just divide the number of miles x the number of minutes and multiply by 60

So in your example: 100/((4 x 60)+36))*60 = 21.74mph

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The only time I've ever ridden 100 miles it took me all day, including a few cafe stops and fish 'n chips at the seaside.

That’s the way to do it, with beer for hydration

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This is indeed the way.
My first ride in the Alps, I stopped for lunch, which naturally involved an apero and 1/2 litre of wine, then rode down the Col de La Colombière, What could possibly go wrong?

Jameshow

Veteran
Bill Norris (who founded SPOCO) was a friend of mine - A sad day when he passed. He was a great person with good values (much like Alan Bates).

Alan bates was a year above my dad in school. Usd to pass him on the evening 10s apparently.
Obituary in CW last week.

Top Bottom