Mrs Uncle Phil witnesses aborted theft attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil had a bad day yesterday. Or a good day, depending on how you look at it.

She went into town to do a few errands, and took our Brompton with her in the car to run around town with.

On a visit to Sainsbury's, she dropped her phone in the car park.

An hour or so later, realising the phone was missing, she went back there to see if she could find it, or if anyone had handed it in to Sainsbury's. She locked the bike up, but being in a hurry, and thinking she'd only turn her back on it for a matter of seconds while she searched the adjacent area of the car park, she put the U-lock around the seatpost, rather than through the frame.

She didn't find the phone (no surprise there) but on turning to return to the bike, she saw a man apparently tugging at something among them. As she got closer, she saw that our Brompton was near him. Closer still, and it became clear it was our Brommie he was tugging at. At this point she broke into a run, he saw her coming and disappeared on another bike.

Examining the bike, it became clear that, as the lock was only around the seatpost, he had been hauling on the seatpost, trying to remove it from the frame, so that he could free the bike from the lock and steal it.

Fortunately, of course, on a Brommie, the seatpost won't come out upwards (you have to remove the saddle and drop it down through the frame). Equally fortunately, the thief did not know this.

Much more fortunately, he didn't know either that, if your Brommie has a telescopic seat post (as ours has), that will come out upwards. Had he known this, he might have got away with the bike. He obviously didn't find the quick release for the inner seatpost.

Just so you know - do make sure your bike is properly locked. This guy was a real opportunist, and it was only because of his ignorance that he didn't get away with the bike. It was unattended for perhaps a minute.

Oh yes, and while she was still in town, a chap rang me to say he'd found her phone, and made arrangements for her to collect it from him. (He'd looked up some numbers in its memory and rung them until he found me).

So, it was a bad day. But it would have been a much badder day if the thief had nicked the Brommie, and Mr Honest hadn't returned her phone!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A bad day that turned out alright in the end.

Will1985

Über Member
Uncle Phil said:
Fortunately, of course, on a Brommie, the seatpost won't come out upwards (you have to remove the saddle and drop it down through the frame). Equally fortunately, the thief did not know this.
So that's what I was doing wrong! I'll remember for next time ;)

Gromit

Über Member
Had a few silly moments like that, the last few weeks, have got back to find that I'd not locked the bike up properly. Put the lock through the frame and not through the cycle rack. Luckily my bikes really scummy, so no one would give it a second look. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
If it is the Monkgate one it's a known hotspot for opportunist bike thieves. It's good advise.

My supermarket of choice! Luckily, so close to the flat that I hardly ever cycle there, it's easier to walk...

Glad it turned out to be a good day afer all, Uncle Phil!

Crankarm

Guru
Bromptons are thief magnets. I was parted from mine after the Kryptonite lock gave up very readily despite being through the fame and the bike being folded :smile:. It certainly wasn't very "Kryptonite".

Glad yours didn't go walkies and you got your phone back. We all have finger lickin' bad days as well. At least there are still some honest people around about albeit a small minority....:angel:.

trsleigh

Crankarm said:
Bromptons are thief magnets. I was parted from mine after the Kryptonite lock gave up very readily despite being through the fame and the bike being folded :smile:. .

I never carry a lock with me on my Brompton, simply take it everywhere. Shops, pubs, hospitals, MOD sites etc etc. Only once in three years been refused entry and that was to a pub in Brentford about half a mile from the Bromton factory.:angel:

Batzman

Hmm. I remember that TV program where they rigged up cars with cameras and also to die after about 30 mins driving (and locking the doors to catch the thief) ... wouldn't it be great to have a bike rigged up the same (except for the doors bit!)... I'm sure you'd get some lovely footage...

Crankarm

Guru
trsleigh said:
I never carry a lock with me on my Brompton, simply take it everywhere. Shops, pubs, hospitals, MOD sites etc etc. Only once in three years been refused entry and that was to a pub in Brentford about half a mile from the Bromton factory.:laugh:

I was forced to lock my Brompton up only once as I was refused entry to the establishment which I was visiting and on this single occasion it was nicked xx(. I did try to negotiate entry but was met with point blank refusals. I happened to have the lock with me as I wasn't sure whether I would be allowed in. In hindsight I should have insisted on a safe place within the building to leave it rather then relying on it being safely locked up outside under a CCTV camera. I won't make that mistake again. As you say, normally you just take it with you everywhere ever you go, not a problem. However it was insured and I had a replacement fairly quickly. Not the point though as I was distraught when I found it had been pinched.

You could have taken a picture of the thief on your mobile phone........................... if you had a mobile phone at the time.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
semislickstick said:
I now know how to pinch Brompton seats :-)

Is there any CCTV in the area, might be worth trying to get it, report to the police, name and shame in the local rag etc.

Definitely making an enquiry with th local Policing team..Thy should check CCTV in the area, If Mrs UP can give a decent description that would help.

Top Bottom