MTB blast on country roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all, just wanted a few thoughts on weather on not the is any benefit from time to time taking the old mtb on road. i have been pounding the Malvern hills for about 4 months now, lots and lots of uphill ,small amounts of grip, mostly strength work, i took my scale (with specialized evil twins on) out yesterday on a 17 mile road dash and found that my cardio isn't being tested on the hills ,it seemed because i could keep more momentum going on the roads i could push my cardio a lot further..
now because im gearing up to start xc racing (mostly for fun ,but you guys know what the "red mist" does ) im just wondering if it is something that everyone from time to time does? what are the pros and cons for it or im i just asking a stupid question?
regards ian :smile:

HovR

Über Member
I'm not a big MTB'er, primarily riding road, but when riding MTB I don't find myself as challenged cardiovascularly when out on the trails as I do on the road.

I've heard many MTB'ers joke that road bikes are just a way of training fitness before hitting the trails, so there may be some logic there.

If you're considering riding road I'd suggest getting a road bike. It's much funner charging along at 25+ mph on the road bike than knackering yourself out on the MTB on the road in my opinion!

Top Bottom